Double sided tape?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

lodcomm

Double sided tape?

Post by lodcomm »

Hey Folks,

What brand/kind of double sided tape do you all use when one find a need to hold a thin piece of stock to the top of a milling vice?

I have some clear carpet tape stuff - it holds well, but is a complete mess to clean up afterwards..

thanks!

-t
Orrin

Re: Double sided tape?

Post by Orrin »

Let's get to the clean-up, first: kerosene. If you don't keep it in your shop you are missing out on a good thing. Next to cutting oil, it is my most-used liquid in the shop. It is a great cutting fluid for aluminum and an outstanding solvent, especially for tape adhesives.

I use 3-M #410 double-stick tape. It has never let me down. It is 0.005" thick and comes in a variety of widths. My favorite way of un-sticking it is giving it a blast with a hot-air gun. The MSC stock number for 1" wide is 00188680.

A tweezer is very helpful in placing the tape and peeling off the backing.

Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
lodcomm

Post by lodcomm »

Thanks kindly for the part reference for the tape. Like I said, I had some kind of thin clear carpet tape around the shop and used that to hold and fly cut a piece of aluminum plate. The tape held reasonably well but was almost like a gel! It took me a good while to clean it off. I ended up using carburetor cleaner.

I do keep kerosene around the shop, as I use it in my salamander heater :) - it does work well when milling aluminum, and clearly provides a brilliant finish on AL.

thanks again!

-t
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

The thing about carburetor cleaner and other "hot" solvents is that they evaporate before they get the job done. Kero evaporates slowly and sticks around long enough to do what you want. The pleasant surprise is this: the next day it is gone--evaporated.

Orrin
So many projects, so little time.