Brazed Carbide Tool Bits

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dgoddard

Brazed Carbide Tool Bits

Post by dgoddard »

While I have been having mostly good luck with brazed carbide tool bits, I think I may be having a bit too much trouble with chipping of the cutting edge both on the lathe and on flycutters on the mill. I understand that a flycutter on a mill might be exposed to a bit of impact, but when it is just taking a light facing cut on a surface, that should not be the case when it is not running off an edge. I am wondering if this is a quality issue for the brazed insert cutters. If so, how does one get better grades of these bits. Theoretically paying more money is supposed to help, but not always. Do I need more information about selecting the grade of carbide in the bits? Are there some brands that are substantially superior to others? etc.?
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from.
roundnose

Re: Brazed Carbide Tool Bits

Post by roundnose »

Give Micro 100 a try. It works well for me.
dgoddard

Post by dgoddard »

roundnose wrote:Give Micro 100 a try. It works well for me.
Uhhhh, What is Micro 100? A brand? A material? A web site? ---
EdK

Post by EdK »

dgoddard wrote:
roundnose wrote:Give Micro 100 a try. It works well for me.
Uhhhh, What is Micro 100? A brand? A material? A web site? ---
It's a brand.

http://www.micro100.com/
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

I don't have any trouble with chipping of the cutting edge with brazed carbide unless it's an interrupted cut. I use Brazed carbide in my flycutters and they seldom if ever chip but they do wear the cutting edge off.

A C2 grade carbide is better for interrupted cuts than a C5 or 6. Micro 100 is a very good carbide but I don't think you need it except for special work.

It is extremely rare for me to have chipping of the cutting edge when turning or facing HR, CR or SS even with C6 carbide. The edge will wear but rarely will chip.

What is the relief angle your using on the sides of the cutter?
It's only ink and paper.
dgoddard

Post by dgoddard »

CarlD wrote:I don't have any trouble with chipping of the cutting edge with brazed carbide unless it's an interrupted cut. I use Brazed carbide in my flycutters and they seldom if ever chip but they do wear the cutting edge off. A C2 grade carbide is better for interrupted cuts than a C5 or 6.
I was under the impression that C2 was for cast iron and non Ferrous... are you recommending that I use C2 in a fly cutter on steel?
CarlD wrote:What is the relief angle your using on the sides of the cutter?
I have the table on my tool grinder set at 2 degrees. I usually put a small radius (1/32 by eyeball), sometimes as much as 1/8 but if I want a really sharp corner, I grind it to a sharp corner and then use a hand held diamond hone to put a very small radius on it. The typical chip I see in the carbide is near the corner and looks like a small bit of the carbide has spalled off for about 1/32 - 1/16 diameter. On the mill I am using flood coolant during the cut.

What is your source of brazed carbide tool bits and what model and grade do you use in your fly cutters?
roundnose

Post by roundnose »

Ya well, when you get tired of that.
Just buy one Micro 100 bit, just one is better then a box of anything else I have used.
And, there is only one grade that does it all.
This is the setup up I use for sharpening.
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u265 ... inder1.jpg

I was on the run earlier, I will add to my recommendation of Micro 100.
I use these brazed tools for finish cutting.
That means, I have done other machine work, and have time into the project.
If, the cutting edge chips, on the last cut, most of the time the work is ruined.
This Micro 100 is the best I have used that resists edge chipping.
Yes, the cost is higher, but, for me, the economics is far higher ruining work in the finishing cut.