Where to buy a small 45 degree angle plate/bracket

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

CThomas

Where to buy a small 45 degree angle plate/bracket

Post by CThomas »

The only 45 degree one I found on line was from Newport and it was aluminum at $90-seems expensive
http://www.newport.com/360-Series-Angle ... talog.aspx

I searched ebay and came up empty. A rotary table with chuck or tilting table is way to expensive for my purposes.
I just need maybe a 5x5" or 5x6 or 7" angle plate/bracket with center hole to insert a small chuck into to mount on a small drill press
Any suggestions?

Thanks
aametalmaster

Re: Where to buy a small 45 degree angle plate/bracket

Post by aametalmaster »

I needed a small one also for a milling project on my lathe. So i just sawed a small length of 3x3 angle and tacked it to a small plate. It worked fine for my purpose but yours may differ...Bob
Attachments
mla_2.jpg
Bob Wright Metal Master Fab
Salem, Ohio

http://www.chaski.com
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Couldn't you take a chunk of angle iron the right size and weld it to a plate with the 90 degree corner up?

You didn't say how accurate it had to be?

Richard W.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Bob

First thing that came to mind was to take an import cast iron V block and cut it to suit but to get close to the size you are looking for would be 2/3s the cost of the plates you linked.

Any chance an angle vice like these could work?

http://www.shars.com/product_categories ... Angle_Vise

http://www.shars.com/product_categories ... Angle_Vise

Pete
CThomas

Post by CThomas »

I do not have access to welding equipment so not an option for me.

Need to drill/mill small holes at 45 degree angle. I was trying to mount a mini tail stock chuck with #2 arbor in center hole of a standard mini drill press table. Hole in drill press table is to small for arbor to fit. The drill press chuck is to small to mount the larger drill bit/mill bits I have to enlarge center hole.

I then tried to mount the mini tail stock chuck in a cheap vice and turn the drill press table to a 45 dgree angle. It was a nightmare trying to align the part with bit. I could not really align the chuck properly as the jaws stick out to far to have the chuck seat properly (flat in vice) Based on that I figured that an angle vice would be a little more user freindly but still give me the same problems with alignment.

Felt a 45 degree angle plate with proper center hole for arbor would work best. I am a little shocked that there are no really no low cost options for buying a 45 degree angle plate, 90 degree plates are everywhere and cheap.

Small rotary table/chuck would be perfect but just to expensive.

I am thinking of just making a 45 degree angle plate out of wood.

Thanks
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

If you could post a pic of the part and describe what it is you are trying to accomplish, I'm sure that there is a simple way to do it.

If you can't locate the point of entry of the drill with the table turned to 45°, I'm not understanding how using a 45° angle plate will make a difference.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
aametalmaster

Post by aametalmaster »

CThomas wrote:I do not have access to welding equipment so not an option for me.
I have a whole welding shop and if there is anything i can make you just hollar...Bob
Bob Wright Metal Master Fab
Salem, Ohio

http://www.chaski.com
chuckey

Post by chuckey »

You do not say what sort of kit you have, so I don't if this is of any use. To drill one or two small items, put drill in lathe chuck and mount items on tool holder say at 45 degrees. Takes a lot of time because of speed limitations. Get a prototype block (rectangular block cut on the diagonal), mount on tool post like above, put a suitable tool in lathe chuck and face block. Take block off and re-mount the other way around. run the face past the lathe tool and measure the error between the block face and the tool. The only time the error is 0, is when both the block and the toolholder's angles are both 45 degrees. A much cruder way would be to make a wooden table with a long hinge (or several) at one end, big enough to encompass the width of your DP table. Block up the free end to an angle of 45 degs. Put unit on work surface, and carefully with your bestess rules and squares drop a line down to the W/S (use a bit of masking tape to mark). So at a diagonal distance of 20", the horizontal line to the hinge centre should be 20 X .7071 = 14.142". Adjust the blocking to suit. Drill and fix your vice on the table... I am not sure that you will be able to start the drill without using a end milling cutter first, because the point of the drill will skid down hill, even if you have a centre punch start.
Frank