Brought CNC Mill Home... Won't fit in shop!!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sierevello

Brought CNC Mill Home... Won't fit in shop!!!

Post by sierevello »

I picked up my Lagun 3 axis CNC mill yesterday and got it home only to find out it is too tall to fit in the shop... sigh. The only option for me is to remove the head and then get the base into the shop and reattach the head to the mill.

My only question on this is the effect on the tram of the mill. My other mill is a manual machine and is of course adjustable for tram.

So if I remove the head will it effect the tram or is it a matter of reattaching the head and then tramming as much as I can before I tighten the bolts that hold it to the mill?

I envision some type of dowel or alignment pin inside the casting to set this but I have no idea?

I have attached a few pictures so you know what I am dealing with and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Attachments
Head1.jpg
Head 2.jpg
Head 3.jpg
GlennW

Re: Brought CNC Mill Home... Won't fit in shop!!!

Post by GlennW »

Will it fit if you just remove the pneumatic drawbar actuator and the motor?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
sierevello

Post by sierevello »

Glenn,

That was the original plan... but still too tall.

Thanks,
Steve
JHenriksen

Post by JHenriksen »

the stud with the nut shown in the picture is most likely a taper pin that locates the head. If the head is lined up now, removing it and re mounting it should not effect whether it can be retrammed
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Make a couple of "witness" marks with a center punch or cold chisel to relocate it properly.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Al_Messer wrote:Make a couple of "witness" marks with a center punch or cold chisel to relocate it properly.
For a machine tool, that would be useless. The slightest misalignment (not discernable by eye) is greater than can be tolerated. Were that not the case, DTI's would not be required to dial in the head on a vertical mill.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Just a long shot. Do you have any controlled way to lay it over to take it through the door on it's side or back without taking the head off?

Pete
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JHenriksen wrote:the stud with the nut shown in the picture is most likely a taper pin that locates the head. If the head is lined up now, removing it and re mounting it should not effect whether it can be retrammed
Yep! I agree. The only caveat, in my opinion, would be to insure that neither of the flanges sustained any damage in handling. I'd dress each one with a single cut file (draw file only) before re-assembly.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
stevec

Post by stevec »

I know it would be heavy, but could you remove the ram with the head still attached and then re-mount it without losing "tram"?
In an even less practical thought I was thinking that, as punishment for not having measured the height, you should be forced to give the machine to the closest HM member who has the space LOL!
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

one way or the other you will have to tram the head as part of the checkout after moving it.

i vote for lifting off the head assembly carefully and reataching it after its inside beside everyone needs a chain hoist above the mill, right???
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

I'm curious if it would be easier to dis-assemble & re-assemble shop doorway rather than mill.

I took 8' of a wall off my garage to get my CNC mill in.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Resquaring the head should be the least of your concerns.

Here is how I got my Bridgeport into my garage. It was 4" to tall.

Is this your problem?

I mounted a 3/4" pin the the machine table. I used the knee to raise and insert the pin into
a 3/4" toolholder. Unbolt the head from the column. I used the "Y" axis to move the head a couple of inches away from the column. Then use the knee to lower the head enough to move the machine inside the garage. Once inside use the knee to raise the head back up and reassemble.

My Bridgeport head weighed 800 lbs. If it falls on you it will likely kill you.
Before moveing the machine I supported the head with a small bottle jack and tied the head to the column with ratcheting tie downs.

I removed the Z stepper motor rather than unwire it and laid it on the control cabinet. The spindle control wires I had to lable and disconnect then reconnect.

If you know exactly what you are doing I have heard of guys doing all this in 45 minutes. It took me all day.
Attachments
headremoval0001.jpg
headremoval0001.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Notice the Date?   Luckly I had a nice mild winter day for this job
Notice the Date? Luckly I had a nice mild winter day for this job
millgarage.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com