portaband

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

refinery mike

portaband

Post by refinery mike »

I have a bigger band saw but this guy is the work horse of my shop. For years now it has cut 90 percent of all my metal. You can change a blade by simply releasing the leaver and popping another blade on. In very short order i can go from sheet metal to two inch thick bar. With the big saw it is so much trouble to change blades that you try to make do with the blade that is in there and then you know what happens. And the blades only cost about 7 bucks, for a good bi-metal Starret blade.
As you can see it is just a Millwalke Porta-band that is hung up on a pedistal. I added a plate for the table and of course an on off switch and a foot switch for safety. the pedistal may be loosened and swiveled if that is desirable. Notice the push stick hanging on the side of the pedistal, that is an absolute necessity. And i am old and half blind, making the lamp a requirement as well.
Attachments
work horse bandsaw.jpg
Flybynight

Re: portaband

Post by Flybynight »

Neet idea.
Yes I have port a band myself.
Use it quite a bit. Mostly though to cut a smaller piece to take to where I will use it.
So I don't have to lug the full piece from one side of my shop to the other side.(around every thing)
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
Wayne Shaw

Re: portaband

Post by Wayne Shaw »

Without a doubt, my portaband is the most used hand power tool I own. I HATE a hacksaw!