tall plano boxes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

refinery mike

tall plano boxes

Post by refinery mike »

I really like the tall "Plano" boxes. They are made for hanging fishing lures in but they work well for storing tools in as well. And then they are just the right heigth to fit up in the floor joists, on simple shelves. Then there they are above me at the drill press or lathe, or what ever. And they are made in the USA not China.
Attachments
plano 3.jpg
plano 2.jpg
stevec

Re: tall plano boxes

Post by stevec »

I like the lower "flatish" ones for nuts & bolts or whatever, but i wish there was some way to glue in the partitions.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

stevec wrote:I like the lower "flatish" ones for nuts & bolts or whatever, but i wish there was some way to glue in the partitions.
I have "glued" partitions in small bolt bins. By running a bead of silicone on each side of the partition on each end.
Been there for years. (PS run your finger to flaten the ead out.)
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I use the flat plano boxes as well. if you want the partitions to stay in place, just touch the corners with a solder iron and it will melt them together. But a knife will easily separate them if you change your mind. I also use a dremel circular saw blade on an arbor in my drill press to cut down the permanent partitions to a given heigth. to hold specific parts.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Jim, I tried the silicone and it didn't adhere to the plastic, maybe I wasn't using the "right" silicone. Or maybe 'cause mine aren't Plano, they're Flambeau?
Mike I thought of the soldering iron weld, but could only envision great craters full of solder and acid stains LOL, maybe I'll spring for a new tip and devote it to Plano (oops, I mean Flambeau) partitions.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

GOOP works fairly well on polyethylene. Doesn't really make a solvent bond, so you still can razor-blade it off, but makes a decent mechanical bond. I fixed a cracked polyethylene garbage can about three years ago and it's still holding, despite the best efforts of the town trash pickup.

There must be half-a-dozen kinds of GOOP out there, probably doesn't matter which one you use.
Pete in NJ
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

stevec wrote:Jim, I tried the silicone and it didn't adhere to the plastic, maybe I wasn't using the "right" silicone. Or maybe 'cause mine aren't Plano, they're Flambeau?
Mike I thought of the soldering iron weld, but could only envision great craters full of solder and acid stains LOL, maybe I'll spring for a new tip and devote it to Plano (oops, I mean Flambeau) partitions.
It was the "calking" silicone that came in a tube.
But I used it on small removable bins.
The Plastic might not be the same.
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.