Making Degree Graduations

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Alchymist

Re: Making Degree Graduations

Post by Alchymist »

Back on track, FWIW:
These graduations were done with the little Dremel engraving cutter - something like $2 each. Set up on a rotab on the HF micro mill, then rotab rotated 90º to drill the corresponding detent holes. Used the shaft from a defunct dremel tool with collet held in a MT collet to hold the cutter, ran at fastest speed. Later engraved the division numbers on a New Hermes manual engraver.
Attachments
AUT_9718.JPG
AUT_9719.JPG
kd4gij

Post by kd4gij »

Alchymist wrote:Back on track, FWIW:
These graduations were done with the little Dremel engraving cutter - something like $2 each. Set up on a rotab on the HF micro mill, then rotab rotated 90º to drill the corresponding detent holes. Used the shaft from a defunct dremel tool with collet held in a MT collet to hold the cutter, ran at fastest speed. Later engraved the division numbers on a New Hermes manual engraver.
I use the dremmel engraving bits all the time even on A2, O1, & 4140 before harding ofcorse. I have also used there pointed tunstien carbide bit on hardened sreel.
G0704 mill
Craftsman/atlas 12x36 lathe
4x6 vert-horz.band saw, Craftsman 113 table saw,and radial arm saw.
Torch

Post by Torch »

My compound came with a cheesy printed degree scale riveted to the cast iron base. It was neither particularly durable nor particularly accurate. You guys inspired me to get rid of it and engrave the scale instead. Unfortunately, clearance was an issue and dremel bits just weren't rigid enough or long enough. My solution:
P1010070-800.jpg
It's a 3/8" round HSS lathe tool bit. Ground to a point by the simple expedient of chucking it up in a drill and slowly spinning it against the grinding wheel. Then a single gash with the edge of the wheel on centre of the bit to form a cutting edge.

It seems to work well spinning at 1000 rpm with a nice gentle feed. .007" depth of cut. I marked a 190° arc.