Tools for a newbie

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dpeterson3

Tools for a newbie

Post by dpeterson3 »

So I decided that even starting on a live steam engine now is not going to happen as I had to go another year without a job (and the shop I was working in had a management change). I got caught working on other projects ever time I was in there anyway. Anyway, I thought maybe I could try my hand at building an HO scale engine as that is my original scale. I have been playing around with a 140W soldering gun tacking heavy wire into shapes for practice and am working on getting a resistive soldering iron. My big question I can't seem to find a good answer for is what tools should I get for cutting and holding small brass parts? I am thinking a magnetic table for clamping, but I am not sure how well that will hold. Dremel for cutting? I know it is not incredibly precise or fast.

Thanks in advance
oldvan

Re: Tools for a newbie

Post by oldvan »

I'm far from expert at machinist issues, but I have learned that a few hours spent
reading older posts here can give you a good idea how others are doing things. This
place is a GOLDMINE of expertise.

I've never had the least bit of luck getting brass to stick to a magnet, so I
think mechanical work holding is in order.

A Dremel is handy for many things, but precision is not something that is usually
on the list. Perhaps you could find a lathe that fits within your budget, even an
old and worn lathe can do productive work if it is used carefully. CraigsList seems
to have bargains on a regular basis.

I'm sure others will jump in with additional insights.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

A pretty simple set of screwdrivers, and side cutters ans such in the smaller or electronic sizes are what you need to start with. A resistance soldering tongs is killer for small parts. A micro vice and spring clothes pins make for temporary holding helpers, as will some alligator clips from the electrical isle. For good cutting, a pair of razor saws from your hobby store, narrow and wide, will eliminate the chopped off ends from a sidecutter.

Warning! once you start buying tools, it seems it never ends.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
dpeterson3

Post by dpeterson3 »

Thanks for the replies. When I said magnetic table, I was thinking something more along the lines of this.
http://www.micromark.com/Magnetic-Gluin ... ,7038.html

I have a cousin in sheet metal, so getting a piece of metal for use on the table isn't hard to come by. I was just wondering if anyone has used one and how well they work. I think I will build one anyway with drop sides. That way it can be used as a clap table with a metal base so I don't end up with singed wood as a result of soldering.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have a 1/4 inch steel topped table, that when clean can be used for assembly. (It is always under piles of pieces and parts). I have the magic arrows for weld positioning, and a handfull of rare earth magnets, that along with a 24 inch carpenter square, can be adapted to just about any small or medium sized job.

Use your brain, and not your wallet. Many things can be substituted for the basics, to get jobs done.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.