Another "wottizzit"

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

PeteH

Another "wottizzit"

Post by PeteH »

Well, not EXACTLY "what is it"... I know it's a tilt table; a yard-sale find. My question is more "how do you use it?" There's no provision for mounting it to a mill (or drill) table, and I'm not at all clear on what that setscrewed socket in the base casting is. Maybe it was to be clamped in a table-mounted vise ?

It's a cute little thing, about 3"x4", and clearly well made. The t-slots are 3/16". I may actually have a few t-nuts that will fit.. they came with a bunch of mixed tools, and I put 'em in a film can "against someday".

The name cast-in is "McMahon", also "Type A" and "2". See pics.

Any comments ? Thanks.

Edit: Corrected spelling.
Attachments
Tilt Table2 bestweb.jpg
Tilt Table2 bestweb.jpg (28.76 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Tilt Table3 bestweb.jpg
Tilt Table3 bestweb.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Tilt Table5 bestweb.jpg
Tilt Table5 bestweb.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Pete in NJ
Richard_W

Re: Another "wottizzit"

Post by Richard_W »

it's a tilt table for what ever you want to use it on. See ENCO;

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPA ... M=418-4180

Richard W.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thanks....

The Enco one - which I knew about - has slots for mounting. This one doesn't, which is why I'm asking about mounting it. I suppose you could use regular milling-table clamps on the "apron", too.
Pete in NJ
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Clamp it....or mill you're own slots to fit your mill.

No biggie

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

I have a no-name about like that. 3 x 4" approx. but it is totally "in -scale" with the mill table.

I put an alignment strip each way on the bottom to help hold it on the mill table. Have only used it a couple times, but it is handy enough. T-slots are so small that only small work fits it.

spro

Post by spro »

Man this is good stuff. I believe JT has a name for his "no name". That's a ringer for yours, PH. I can only add that accessories like this were options on universal type mills early -on like in the 1900-1918 ish days. What I'm getting to is a universal mill could be the centerpiece for many different operations and come equipped with special grinding and indexing fixtures yet they were not all made by the company that sold the mill package. So many of these items are painted the same color, came with the machine yet have no identity.
I think a McMahon catalog of that time period whould answer a lot of questions.
spro

Post by spro »

I don't want to leave the impression this table is 85 years old. I'm just saying that there is a reason its builder is ground off or not in the mold.
Btw the reason you asked about the "socket" is I think that is the allen head boss in pic 2. It holds the allen or called socket head screw which is machined to be a round key at the end. That would affix in the groove of the bolt whose head shown in pic #3. That would be the adjustment and then, large nut locked. Again it looks just like JT's. im sorry because you know this already by fiddling with it. cool little table.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thanks, Spro !! That makes it clear to me. I'll clean it up and put it away "against need".

The person who owned it before was somewhere in his 80s, and must have accumulated tons of stuff. Unfortunately only scraps were left. by the time I got to the sale... much of it mismatched, like very nice screw-adjusted milling clamps that were HUGE, looked like they'd be too big for a BP, and a lathe dog you could use for an anchor.

Happy Sunday, all !!
Pete in NJ