Saw threads per inch

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

-=ed

Saw threads per inch

Post by -=ed »

In general, what is considered the optimal tooth count for a sawblade cutting aluminum stock [not tubing]?

For cold rolled mild steel?

Bimetal seems to me to be the way to go, unless things have changed.

I'm getting a compact band/cutoff saw, and want to buy the right ones, as I don't don't have the space for some that will not be used.

Thanks
-
-=ed

Against our will, wisdom comes...
Steamin

Re: Saw threads per inch

Post by Steamin »

-=ed;
For my light-duty import cutoff bandsaw, I like 8-12 variable pitch Bi-metal blades with a fine tooth 14-18 and courser 6-10 blades on the rack. Reasons for my choices: I'm a hobbiest, not commercial shop, so I'll wait for long cuts instead of changing out blades. Bi-metal variable pitch gives me flexibility of metals (stainless, mild, brass, aluminum) and thicknesses to cut without blade changes.

To answer your question "what is considered the optimal tooth count for a sawblade cutting aluminum stock ", the answer is "It depends", mostly on the thickness of the stock. If you are cutting 2"+ alum stock, and you have a stiff enough saw for it, use a 3 pitch blade. 1/4" to 1" stock - look to an 18 pitch. Your supplier should be able to give you some recommendations depending on your needs.

-Steamin
JimGlass

Re: Saw threads per inch

Post by JimGlass »

In my 4 X 6 saw I use wavy pitch 10 -14 bi-metal blades. I have also used 14 - 18 pitch blades. My saw blades generally last 6 to 9 months with daily use. :shock: When you buy your own saw blades you learn how to take care of them. :wink:

The general rule is there should be at least 2 or 3 teeth engaged in the sawed material. Fewer teeth than that and the teeth will snag the workpiece and break off. To many teeth (fine pitch) and the worst that can happen is the tooth gullet can become clogged with swarf and slow the cutting process particularly when sawing aluminum.

I use a hacksaw or sabersaw for sawing thin materials.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com