Dave Sobel ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

PeteH

Dave Sobel ?

Post by PeteH »

Does anyone know whether Dave Sobel (North Jersey) is still in the used-macninery business ?

Thanks...
Pete in NJ
Ike

Re: Dave Sobel ?

Post by Ike »

I'm not sure, but I believe that he retired
and closed his doors, several years ago.
Maybe someone else will be able to confirm this.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

I think his son (Peter?) was trying to run the business at one time. I bought a lot consisting of old toolposts from him on EBay, as I recall. I saw quite a few listings at one time but have not noticed anything for a long time.
Don Young
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

A while back, I emailed Peter and got no response. Tried the phone numbers too and didn't get anything.

My dad got hi SB 9A from Sobel back in the 1960's, I think.

Steve
JTiers

Post by JTiers »

My uderstanding is that he retired possibly 4 or 5 years ago now, and his son sold off the remaining stuff for him, apparently much of it via ebay or other web services that the old man didn't mess with.

I bought one thing from him, ever.... A small Dumore toolpost grinder.

First one arrived in a rather large box, padded by several balls of newspaper which had gotten flattened in shipment to about 0.125 thick.... it had a severely bent spindle, and there was a large hole punched in the box which had let out most of the parts......

The replacement one was in much rougher shape overall, but at least was not bent. Same squashed newspaper balls for padding.....

I think he was best if you personally picked up the stuff.. Not a bad guy actually, even if he had zero concept of shipping protection. When he retired, I think he was well over 80.

Edit.... now I recall I also bought a bunch of 3C collets from him... The first lot were largely "sprung", but the replacements were OK. No shipping damage issues with the collets......
morsetaper2

Post by morsetaper2 »

Dave Sobel died a few years back. His son Peter had a table at Cabin Fever w/ a bunch of stuff last year (Jan 2011) and the year before.