Carrier Turns Bandsaw Over in Truck

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Carrier Turns Bandsaw Over in Truck

Post by seal killer »

All--

My bandsaw arrived . . . but, not really. The carrier didn't secure it well in the truck. When he opened the door, it was laying on its side, the "crate" pretty much shattered. He blamed it on the mickey mouse pallet. It was pretty light weight, but properly secured (the only way to do it), it would have been fine.

I rejected it on the spot. It was never taken out of the truck. In fact, the driver couldn't move it and had to return to the depot to get it unloaded so he could finish the remainder of his deliveries, which were blocked by the saw.

I called Grizzly and they said the proper department would call me back within 24 - 48 hours. They called two hours and ten minutes later to let me know they would confirm the rejection with the shipper and send me another saw.

--Bill
You are what you write.
tetramachine

Re: Carrier Turns Bandsaw Over in Truck

Post by tetramachine »

When I had my motorcycle dealership, sometimes the bikes would come common carrier. What happened to them was not to be believed. A small atv that has an 800# bike stacked on top, with an 500 mile ride. Forks through the boxes most common, and rarely tied down, everything just bouncing around as was your case.
My wheels don't slow me down
RSG

Post by RSG »

That's a real bummer Bill. Sounds like Grizzly is a good company to deal with though.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Update: Grizzly called to tell me the new saw shipped today. :)

--Bill
You are what you write.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The problem wasn't with Grizzly. It was the shipping company that didn't handle the transfer correctly. What guarantee will you have that the shipper will take better care? These guys just make deliveries. Doesn't matter to them if the load is a machine or a load of fine china. Check your saw carefully before accepting it.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Mr. Ron--

The problem was most definitely with the shipper. Grizzly ALWAYS treats me excellently. Actually, so does this shipper.

I will examine the crate and contents VERY carefully when the new saw arrives.

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Update on the update: When I got home I found a message from UPS. They wanted to schedule a time for delivery TODAY. That means Grizzly got it right out and UPS really did their job getting it from Springfield, MO to KC. Good work by both.

But, I was out too late. MY next available date will be Valentine's day. :)

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well that's a bummer Bill.....

Nice thing about UPS here....all the guys know me. If I'm not at home, they drop off my stuff at my wife's office.
Truck shipments I get delivered there regardless. There's a forklift there, and no way an 18 wheeler is gettin' right up to my shop, shy of takin' out the fence.

How do you keep a sealkiller in suspense??????

:lol:
Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Stuff getting banged around in delivery trucks is almost normal these days.

Year-before-last, I bought a new TORO lawnmower, based on Consumer Reports' Ratings. Salesman at Home Despot said "you can pay for it here and have it delivered to your house; no extra charge, and that way you don't have to lug it". So I did.

Couple days later, the thing turned up on the driveway while we were out. The box looked a little butchered, but not terribly. But when I took it out, I found that a critical subassembly had been bent, and (probably not the carrier's fault) one of the external springs that retains the bag was missing. I probably could have hammered the bent part out but having just paid close to $400, I wasn't feeling charitable. So I called and e-mailed HD, and was told to take the thing back to THE STORE. (Remember, I was trying to avoid schlepping it around...) So I did.

About a week later, the second one appeared on the driveway. This time, the box was OBVIOUSLY hammered. There was more damaged sheetmetal inside, different this time, but still the thing wouldn't go together. So back to the store.

The last time, I just said "give me one off the floor, but I want to open it up first and be sure it's OK". So I did. I figured that HD took store deliveries in their own trucks, and if merchandise was consistently getting damaged, the driver would be in for a "woodshed" session; so I'd have a better chance of getting something decent.

In the end, I wound up hauling mowers THREE times instead of once. The mower, btw, is fine. Does a great job, and starts on the second (sometimes first) pull.

And yes, it was the brown truck.
Pete in NJ
Torch

Post by Torch »

UPS nor FedEx nor DHL will deliver to my area any more. They will accept the parcel but then they sub it out to a local delivery firm (UPS hands off to Purolator, FedEx and DHL to MDS or FedEx ground to Canada Post). When they pass it to the subcontractor, they mark it as "delivered" on their tracking system because they happen to be done with it. Good luck trying to find it then! Most recently a UPS shipment vanished into thin air. It eventually turned up at the contractor's depot -- Purolator wouldn't deliver it because:

(I'm still shaking my head over this)

It's winter.

That's right. The delivery service won't deliver because it's winter. They might get stuck in my driveway or something. They didn't even phone, I had to track it down. When I finally did, they wanted me to drive out to their depot -- in the next town, 50 miles away -- and fetch it myself. I told them if they didn't want to deliver it, then they shouldn't have accepted the consignment. I don't care how they go about it, but they are obligated to get it to me. If they don't want to send it by truck, find a snowmobile, dogsled or give the driver some snowshoes.

Ok, rant over, the soapbox is free. NEXT!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Torch wrote:UPS nor FedEx nor DHL will deliver to my area any more. They will accept the parcel but then they sub it out to a local delivery firm (UPS hands off to Purolator, FedEx and DHL to MDS or FedEx ground to Canada Post). When they pass it to the subcontractor, they mark it as "delivered" on their tracking system because they happen to be done with it. Good luck trying to find it then! Most recently a UPS shipment vanished into thin air. It eventually turned up at the contractor's depot -- Purolator wouldn't deliver it because:

(I'm still shaking my head over this)

It's winter.

That's right. The delivery service won't deliver because it's winter. They might get stuck in my driveway or something. They didn't even phone, I had to track it down. When I finally did, they wanted me to drive out to their depot -- in the next town, 50 miles away -- and fetch it myself. I told them if they didn't want to deliver it, then they shouldn't have accepted the consignment. I don't care how they go about it, but they are obligated to get it to me. If they don't want to send it by truck, find a snowmobile, dogsled or give the driver some snowshoes.

Ok, rant over, the soapbox is free. NEXT!
Not so fast.

How did this issue shake out?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I called UPS. Told them this was unacceptable and that if they couldn't ensure their sub-contractors would meet their obligations that I would never have anything shipped by UPS again. I got a call from Purolator telling me it would be delivered that day. I then got a call from the driver asking me if I was going into town that day and could meet him somewhere. I told him I'd meet him at the end of my driveway. He wasn't happy, but he delivered it...