nyloil bearing material

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

thomas harris

nyloil bearing material

Post by thomas harris »

I had a few big hunks of this stuff and table saw cut them into more manageable square strips for my small lathe. Well they sat in my storage for some time. I just needed to make an odd sized bearing the other day and pulled some of it out. The strips had warped in the direction of the saw cuts. Is there some sort of sealer that is applied to this material or did the rough saw cut cause the impregnated lubricant to leach out and cause this distortion. I just trued it up in a four jaw and used it, but now wonder what the bearings do over time. This olive green stuff is used on gears and bearings quite a lot, so it has me baffled. ??
atlas 618,MM challenger wire welder, 4x6 cheapo bandsaw, assorted junk, spears for hunting mastadons.
Rick

Re: nyloil bearing material

Post by Rick »

Sound just like the strips just stress relieved themselves don't think the lube had anything to do with it. Got to remember there are two main families of plastic; You have the Poly-warp-elenes and the and poly-warps-alot :D :D :D :D
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"