Removing Albrecht Chuck From Arbor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Removing Albrecht Chuck From Arbor

Post by BadDog »

Do NOT drill a key less Albrecht style chuck.

Yes, adapter sleeves are in order. I've got several in each size. You'll want them for taper shank drills, reamers etc. You'll want them to move the Albrecht and other tooling to the new lathe. My 1/2" Albrecht still lives on an MT3 shank because I can use it in different places, like my (2) big drill presses. Likewise I got a SMOKING good deal on a brand new Concentric live center ($30) that happened to be MT3, so it got it's own high quality (US made, "C" something or other) sleeve. In general, if clean when assembled and not feeding from the bottom of the barrel, you are unlikely to ever see an accuracy problem using a good quality sleeve. I also have some cheap Enco specials that turned out to be "Phase II", and they are as near perfect as I can tell (or care).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I'm selling my lathe, but I refuse to part with my Albrecht chuck. Unfortunately, it has an MT3 arbor jammed into it, and the new lathe has an MT4 taper.

I want to get the chuck off the arbor. Do I need to remove the collar first, to keep from messing it up when I pry the chuck loose? I tried earlier, and the screw holding it on was stuck pretty good. I blasted it with penetrating oil, and it's soaking in.

Go to the Albrecht web site. They have instruction on how to disassembe the chuck and to remove the arbor. Penetrating oil will do nothing on a ground arbor fit. Your way (prying) will result in scrap metal.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was not clear. The penetrating oil is on the screw for the collar. I'm not using it on the taper.

It looks like everyone is in favor of sleeves; that's good enough for me.

But I'm really thinking it would be cool if I could find an old Jacobs 18N.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Benta

Post by Benta »

Are you 100% certain that the arbor is removable?
Albrecht offers chucks with fixed MT3 shank.

Benta.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

According to Albrecht, these chucks have markings on them indicating the taper. Mine says "J2" on the underside.
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

SteveHGraham wrote:... But I'm really thinking it would be cool if I could find an old Jacobs 18N.
No lack of those on ebay right now. Search on Jacobs 18 as well as 18N (some sellers don't add the suffix).

I use an 18N on my big lathe. Pretty much bullet proof.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I might try a Taiwan chuck. Some people think very highly of certain brands.

One of the big problems with shopping for a Jacobs chuck is that you have to buy used or risk getting one made in China. I checked my 14N and 16N yesterday and confirmed that they were US-made.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I use adapter sleeves too but it always possible to induce a little
more error into the set-up. I also take the point that it could reduce
some error but I think it is a come ci, come ca kind of situation.

Have you considered using the wedges used for removing Jacobs arbors
from their chucks?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I wasn't asking about the wedges. I just wondered if the collar had to come off first.

I don't know if the regular Jacobs wedges will work. There is a lot of space between the chuck and the shoulder of the arbor. I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it. Now that people are confidently suggesting sleeves, I think it will be unnecessary to remove the chuck.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Take the collar off the chuck and take the chuck apart. Once the screw portion of the chuck is removed, you should be able to get a regular punch thru the chuck to knock the arbor out. Very easy. If you arbor was applied with loctite, a little heat with a plumbers torch may be necessary. Emphasis on "little heat".
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
krankie frankie

Post by krankie frankie »

The Albrecht chucks I have used at work could be disassembled by screwing the knurled portion of the chuck off.It looks as if it is not threaded but the ones I have used come apart. I have chucked them in a lathe on the smooth part of the chuck an used a pipe wrench to crack the knurled part loose. When you get the chuck apart remove the jaws remove the cone shaped thingie then remove the threaded piece,it has a reverse thread,then you can stick a rod down and give it a sharp whack to remove the arbor.If you disassemble it any further be aware that there is a herd of small ball bearings in there that will surely fall out and roll under your bench only some of which you will be able to find. Now ask me how I know about the ball bearing part.
wsippola

Post by wsippola »

Up to you of course, but I would keep the Albrecht even if you want to get a larger chuck. Most of the time, the smaller lighter easier to use chuck will do the job, then you pull out the 3/4 inch when you need it. Since you already have it anyways, I think you will find it is more pleasant to use for 90% of your work.

Wayne