chip shield

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Morph

chip shield

Post by Morph »

Made an articulating sliding chip shield for the mill.

I took some 3/8'' bolts and turned down the head to press in a bearing. Tapped the mill to accept two 3/8 x 16tpi. Slotted the ends so I could screw them into the mill after I pressed the bearings on. Used lock tight to secure.

I used alum for the arms. Slotted the one that accepts the bearings with a router bit that I modified from big box store.
The pivots are brass rods pressed through.

If I were to do it all over again I would have incorporated bushings at the pivots. But the pressed fittings are tight and will more than likely hold up for some time.

I sand blasted and painted with hammer finish.
Attachments
0410121431a.jpg
041012143001.jpg
0410121435.jpg
041012143101.jpg
0410121432.jpg
Bill
websterz

Re: chip shield

Post by websterz »

Nice work! Beats the heck out of the gooseneck I am using. What part of OK you from Bill?
Morph

Post by Morph »

websterz,

Thanks for the comment.

I am about 15 minutes north of Edmond Ok. Out in the sticks. Love the peace and quite. Were on five acres. Tree lines on either side and can only see one house from here, across the road our neighbor. We have a good relationship. They stay to themselves and we stay to ourselves. But they are good people.

I see you are in Ok as well.
You in the city or countryside?
Bill
websterz

Post by websterz »

I dream of living in a place like that! We're in Ponca City, trapped next door to the "neighbors" from hell. This crazy broad makes sure her mower throws all her grass onto my driveway than calls the cops when I blow it back onto her yard!! Been at DEFCON 2 with these prizewinners for over a year now. :evil:
Morph

Post by Morph »

websterz,

I feel your pain.

I bet if you are patient and start looking you can find a place outside the city. The price seems to be less the farther from city limits you are. I guess because everything of convenience is a bit farther away. First responders in an emergency take forever to get there, going to get that loaf of bread takes longer and more fuel is used. Most fire departments are volunteer. no city water, trash, sewer....

Alot of inconvenieces but the trade off is worth it to me.
Bill