1144 stressproof

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Morph

1144 stressproof

Post by Morph »

I bought some today for a project. i am hoping that it is not too hard to machine for home shop.
I want to make an arbor for the grinder. The same as in Harold's grinding hss posts.

Did I get the wrong steel?
It is 2-3/4 "dia.
Bill
GlennW

Re: 1144 stressproof

Post by GlennW »

It should work very well.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Morph

Post by Morph »

Thanks Glen.

I didn't do my homework before I bought it . At first I was just going to get some cold rolled and changed my mind on the way there. I was relying on the knowledge of the salesman at the metal store.
He did not seem very knowledgeable so I was a little nervous since it wasn't free.

Not to mention even if I did look it up online I still would not be sure. I sure am glad for this forum and the knowledgeable people here.
Bill
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

I find it machines about the same as 1018, but the finish is a heck of a lot better.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

lakeside53 wrote:I find it machines about the same as 1018, but the finish is a heck of a lot better.
Yup....me too.....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
atomarc

Post by atomarc »

I must be doing something different. I have been machining stress-proof for years and it's the most beautiful material to work with ever invented, other than 12L14. If you think machining stress-proof is on par with turning 1018 then I think you are doing something wrong. These two material turn completely different and cannot be confused, in my experience. :shock:

Stuart
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

One of the drawbacks of Stressproof is that there are problems welding on it. so you need to plan acordingly.
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

atomarc wrote:I must be doing something different. I have been machining stress-proof for years and it's the most beautiful material to work with ever invented, other than 12L14. If you think machining stress-proof is on par with turning 1018 then I think you are doing something wrong. These two material turn completely different and cannot be confused, in my experience. :shock:

Stuart

Sorry, I was refering to the ease of machining, not the other physical attibutes which make 1144 so much better to work with..... The OP was concerned it would be "hard to machine".
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

atomarc wrote:I must be doing something different. I have been machining stress-proof for years and it's the most beautiful material to work with ever invented, other than 12L14. If you think machining stress-proof is on par with turning 1018 then I think you are doing something wrong. These two material turn completely different and cannot be confused, in my experience. :shock:

Stuart
I couldn't have said it better. The difference in machining between 1018 and Stressproof is unbelievable.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
atomarc

Post by atomarc »

lakeside53 wrote:

Stuart

Sorry, I was refering to the ease of machining, not the other physical attibutes which make 1144 so much better to work with..... The OP was concerned it would be "hard to machine".
It's the metallurgical (physical) attributes of this steel that make it machine as nicely as it does...what else is there to consider. How difficult a material is to machine depends entirely on what the material is. A rock is hard, so it's difficult to machine...a bar of soap is easy to machine. :)

Stuart
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Stressproof is a good choice, but I would have preferred EDT150 had it of been me buying the material. Both materials machine well, but stressproof when stretched beyond its limits will break. For your application it will work fine though.

Richard W.
Morph

Post by Morph »

Thanks for the advise everyone.

I'm working on the project today and am going to turn the stressproof between centers. First time attempting turning between centers. lol, That so far is being a challenge.

I planned on using the 4-jaw chuck and a live center. But my 4-jaw chuck skills were never developed and am having a difficult time centering the 2-3/4" dia rod in the chuck. Should have listened to you guys about just leaving the 4-jaw on the lathe and getting used to it.

I also thought about the face plate and live center combo but still at a standstill as to what to use as a dog. All I have is dogs for small stuff. I will ponder some more. One of the reasons I like this hobby is it makes you think.
Bill