What type of cutting/coolant??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: What type of cutting/coolant??

Post by SteveM »

I was thinking of using a small squeeze bottle like one of these:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PART ... A=891-6630
and fitting the acid brush to the tip.

Steve
RSG

Post by RSG »

I've been using small squeeze bottles with 2" needles as shown below.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#squeeze-bottles/=idzq1t

I get the ones with an 18 gau. needle which is good for cutting fluid and other similar viscosity liquids on the lathe. The needle is a perfect size to fit into the groove while parting for instance. But from what Harold said in the past I required more coolant for what I was doing on the mill. Is the flood coolant not a good idea when the machine isn't run every day? I can go for weeks sometimes without turning one or the other on.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

DrDavo wrote:I suppose the question is in order... What cutting oil?
Yes, please! And can someone elaborate on the different types -- the so-called 'Eco-friendly' vs sulfur-based vs petroleum-based. I think the downsides of the water diluted type has previously been discussed.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

Good question and a lot of good suggestions. We probably all have our own habits or preferences, but let me now ask for a opinions on which coolant should be use on different types of metals?? And type of operation, drilling, tapping, sawing, turning, milling etc.??

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

Wanna-Be wrote:BTW. There are some coolants that when heated up by the machining process, produce smoke or fumes that cause some health problems. (I can't remember the name or class at this moment and will post when I eventual remember).

Steve
I still can't remember which coolant was a problem. I do know that in my friends unventilated shop, he developed a respitory problem from using it. I think that is why he went to a mister. His problem was from the smoke produced off the hot tool/work.

My shop is similar since there is no ventilation since the welding is performed in another area. Because I like in the damp, Pac. NW US I keep it heated and dehumidified.

I suspect it might have been the sulfur based cutting oil. I suppose if one were similarly concerned, you could check the MSDS sheet on some of the available machine coolant products.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

There is a difference between cutting oils and coolants.

I use both. I needed to do a fair amount of threading on steel parts so I switched from a water based coolant to a sulpherized cutting oil. The oil is excellent for threading, but if I rough stainless or hardened steel smoke just boils from the cutting interface, even when flooded.

When using the water based coolant, it stays clean and cool with no smoke or fumes. The coolant does it's job and carries the heat away and out of the part.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

DrDavo wrote:They don't work well with anything but WD-40 or something of that viscosity.
I've got these setup with WD40, High sulfur cutting/threading oil, regular non-sulfur cutting oil (don't recall brand), lubricating ISO-22 RO, lubricating ISO-68 RO, and Vactra #2. If the oil doesn't flow easily enough, just make a slightly larger hole in the nozzle till it does.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Fabitfast

Post by Fabitfast »

Wanna-Be wrote:I now have several machines with coolant sumps and a couple with built in pumps. I have always use soluable oil in my power hack saw and power band saw. Two of my lathe, 12" and the 14" have full chip pans with oil drainage fittings but no coolant pump or plumbing. The radial drill has table and base gutters and a sump but at present there is no pump. The B&S automatic gear machine has a sump and pump but it holds so much fluid I don't plan to use it unless I'm going to cut a large gear or several gears. The vertical mill has no sump or system but has a home-made mister system. The Sharmann HBM has no sump or system so I will probably need to use a mister or?? The latest addition, the K&T horiz. mill has a complete sump, pump and plumbing for coolant.

So, what is the most commonly used or recommended cutting fluid "today" for the home machinist???

I'm thinking to stay with the soluable oil in the machines that are already equipt with good gutter and retention systems and perhaps make up a couple more protable mister systems to move to different machine operation, thus minumizing the mess and amount of coolant used.

Also, what coolant is used in these misters systems.

Thoughts Suggestions welcome!

Steve
I use AF3000 coolants from metalsaw.com in almost all of my machines inside my shop. I have never used any other brands.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Glenn Wegman wrote:There is a difference between cutting oils and coolants.
Which makes sense. For me, at least, I think that is part of the larger question: when do you use what?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I use water soluble coolant for nearly everything. I have about 95 gallons of it in various machine sumps and it has been in there for years without any problems. I use it for milling, turning, sawing, and grinding, with the exception of switching the lathe over to cutting oil when I need to do a fair amount of threading on steel parts using single point, taps, or die heads.

The only machine that gives me a little trouble is a cold saw, as it only has a 1.5 gallon sump and the water soluble coolant evaporates at a rapid rate in the summer, so I have to keep an eye on it to keep it from doing weird things.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

One thing that surprised me about using cutting oil on the lathe. After the ways get soaked with it, it sooner or later washes off the way oil and the carriage and cross slide start to drag significantly. Another application of way oil and everything glided freely again.

I guess that's just an example that not just any oil will work on ways.
Glenn

Torch

Post by Torch »

I have two of those 1 pint oil cans with the thumb pump. One contains dark sulphur based cutting oil. I can gently apply a coating to something or I can flood the cut by pumping a little more vigorously. I find it works well with almost any metal, although it smokes pretty good when taking aggressive cuts. I have some light (non-sulphur) cutting oil and found it didn't work as well. I don't know that it is really all that good to breath the oil fumes, but it does have the advantage that SWMBO doesn't care for the smell and that tends to keep her out of my hair... (ooops, was that my out-loud voice again?)

The second can is painted red so I can tell them apart. It contains way oil, and a little squirt is applied to the ways periodically, everytime I wipe off the chips.