Kurt Draw Bar on Anilam Crusader M

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sierevello

Kurt Draw Bar on Anilam Crusader M

Post by sierevello »

I have a Lagun CNC mill with an Anilam control and have gotten it to the point it is ready to run. When I tested the Kurt power drawbar tonight there were a few problems.

1) I hit the "in" button and then let it go oil misted out of the back of the push button switch. The same thing happened when I hit "out". I assume this is not normal. I looked at the schematic from Kurt and it looks like the in and out shafts have two o rings on them. Maybe they have gone bad??? Should it be spraying a mist of oil out of the back of the switch housing?

2) Also, it sprays a mist out of the side of the butterfly ratchet. However, it appears that there are ports drilled there for that purpose.

3) The machine came with a "custom" manifold installed with oilers and pressure regulators (See Pictures).

The very bottom regulator goes to a electro-mechanical switch on the spindle control box that says"Mini-Myte". The hose then goes from there to a pneumatic cylinder that controls the spindle brake when you are changing tools. I assume this is a safety device to make sure no one applies the brake when the spindle is running because the cylinder will not move unless the control is turned on and the spindle is off. However, all I can get the cylinder to do is move when when I adjust the pressure on the regulator. It will not unlock the spindle when I let go of the "in" button on the control. It will not lock when I hit "out" to remove the tool.

The second regulator up from the bottom feeds the air to the "in" and out "switch".

Third up from the bottom is simply a filter for the main air supply.

The top item is a Schrader Bellows 74115-0115 Solenoid Valve 120V that runs back into the spindle control box. I am not sure what this does???

4) I cannot get the butterfly ratchet to engage the drawbar all of the way to tighten or remove a tool.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with fixing this?

Thanks,

Steve
Attachments
photo1.JPG
photo5.JPG
lakeside53

Re: Kurt Draw Bar on Anilam Crusader M

Post by lakeside53 »

Items 1 and 2... probably the o-rings.

Item 4 (assuming you have 90-110psi air to the impact driver) -make sure your spindle is fully up and locked. If you cannot make the impactor engage by manually operating the butterfly, make sure you have all the clearances as specified by Kurt. Often the cause is that the draw bar is to short or the mounting plate is too thick.

I have 3 axis Anilam controls on a BP. My draw bar was "stock" and about 3/8 inch too short (because of the Z-Axis cnc) for the Kurt to engage reliably. Eventually it chewed up the end badly and quit engaging. I made a new draw bar with a "DIY" kit from Kurt.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

There should be a plastic exhaust tube that runs down and around to the back of the machine for the air/oil exhaust. I can post a pic of mine tomorrow if needed. (I haven't touched the machine yet this year, so I'm a bit vague)

As Andy said, the quill has to be parked in the tool change position for the draw bar to engage properly. On my mill, the "reference" position is 1" down from the fully retracted (tool change) position. When I first got the machine I disassembled the draw bar assembly trying to figure out how to get a tool to lock in the spindle as the draw bar just spun and did not contact the tool holder. :?

The first time I referenced the machine and programmed an M6 it all became clear. :idea:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
sierevello

Post by sierevello »

Glenn, if you can post the picture I would appreciate it.

Thanks for everyone's help with this problem!!!

-Steve
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Well, wrong again...

There is a black tube that runs from inside the canister that covers the draw bar actuator around to the back of the machine, but it is not manifolded to the air motor. Some of the exhaust air does seem to exit through it though.
P8040033.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
sierevello

Post by sierevello »

Thanks so much for the pictur Glenn!!! My Kurt drawbar does not have the black hose going to the manifold. I still cannot figure out why so much oil comes out the exhaust port of the butterfly ratchet. It may have been run with too much oil. I will see if I cannot run all of the oil out of it and see what happens.

Thanks- Steve
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I'm not sure if you know about it, but the oiler is (or should be) adjustable as to how much oil it dispenses into the air line. Usually a knob on it to adjust it.

You might try just turning the knob clockwise to shut it off and then holding one of the "IN" "OUT" buttons until the oil in the lines is blown out. Then adjust the oiler to drip about a drop every 15 seconds or so.

I would also recommend removing the four screws securing the reservoir to the automatic oiler for the machine ways and cleaning the reservoir out and filling it with fresh way oil. There can be a layer of goo in the bottom that will plug up the filter and metering units, and it's no fun when that happens!

Pure "Simple Green" cleaner will remove the brown oil scum from inside of the reservoir and get it nice and clear again so the oil level will be visible.
Glenn