Racks for metal file storage

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

myrickmachine

Racks for metal file storage

Post by myrickmachine »

Looking for designs for storing metal files. I have seen a knife block affair, but I want to wall mount say 10-15 of them. Like to making out of wood- anyone have any unique designs? Hitting a mental blockage on this one and if you google anything with files in it you get filing cabinets...
warmstrong1955

Re: Racks for metal file storage

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well....I'm notso sophisticated.......

Thought it's why God created nails...... :)
I just got 'em handy, and in a space that is not so good for most other things....
Files.jpg
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

try pvc conduit held with straps those you keep wet put a cap on the end
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Check out Frank Ford's site Frets.com. He's got some great pointers including some on file storage.

I went a different way. I've probably got over 100 files from needle and riflers up to around 20" bastards and rasps. I've got (almost) all the metal files in a single 1.5" deep drawer in a "New Era" cabinet (like Lysta or Vidmar cabinets, 400 lb rated drawers, and I'm pushing 300+ in some). I used 1" aluminum angle iron and cut slots evenly on the mill. Size/depth depended on the range of riles intended for that area. The working end deeper to handle the toe of the file, and the tang/heel end being much shallower to hold it level. The tang shoulder also keeps it from sliding when the drawer closes and thumps. Works well for me, and it holds maybe 60 or more in that one drawer, all arranged by general size, then by style, and finally ordered by how aggressive they cut roughing to fine. Makes it easy to put my hands on exactly what I want...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Russ from what I understand your files have no handlen since you mention the tang.

What do you do, use one of those handles that grip in a vise like arrangement?
Use without handle? Ouch!
Whak a regular wood handle each time?

May be I read wrong, the file is held by the small piece of tang you can see between handle and body.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, they are stored without a handle. I would hate to see what a mess over 100 files with handles would look like. Certainly not all stored so compactly.

I have a fine sharp 10" Bastard with seated handle on the mill tool tray for convenience. I also have a 12" Lathe Bastard with solidly seated handle on the lathe tool tray that also gets a lot of use. And I would never use a file of any sort on a moving part without a handle. And there are others less used stationed around the shop at key points, including a modest set of NOS Nichols hanging on a wall, all with handles (relatively) permanently attached.

I also have collected a few of the clamp style that get attached when needed, and I have a fairly large variety of old style hardwood handles loose in a drawer. If I don't have enough of the clamps for some reason, or I just needs a smaller handle (the clampers tend to be larger), I lightly seat one of the hardwood handles and then remove when done. You shouldn't be pulling at all on the handle, so it's never been a problem.

But for a small manual task I often use them without a handle. There are many ways of holding a file for use where a handle is not in any way useful, and often detrimental. For instance filing in a slot or cavity "over hand" with a Barret like die filers (manual human, not machines) would. And tangs are not some mystical beast which will magically animate and embed into your wrist every time you touch one without a handle on manual tasks. I'm in my late 40s and have been using files without handles for manual operations since I was somewhere around 10 to 12 years old. I've never had a tang injury, though I've had many slices and peeled knuckles from the work piece, and raw (very mild) bloody palms/fingers on the guide hand (when using a handle!).

I normally don't say that on a public forum, just going along with the "always use handles" crowd to avoid the inevitable admonishments, but I'm feeling a bit cantankerous today. ;) Improved safety where possible is always a good thing, but like over-guarded machines that cause problems for little or no practical benefit, I think insisting on file handles 100% borders on silly. If used on or around a running machine, then I'm in the 100% camp without hesitation or reservation. If roughing and/or filing aggressively, then use handles 100% without exception. For larger/longer tasks, many times the handle makes life much more pleasant anyway. But for small jobs and finer/shorter tasks, I find it's often done with a rarely used file without a handle attached. But I also use my mill/lathe/drill press without full OSHA shielding, and they are FAR more likely to do damage (and often do) than a file without a handle. Just my decision; if you aren't comfortable without a handle, then by all means install one permanently on every file you have. But that's not my way...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Bad Dog, did not mean to ring your "safety bell". I am 100% with you on file handles and the philosophy that Common sense supersede any rule.

I found that since I got a mill, I use my files and hack saw much less than used to but they are still irreplaceable sometimes.

I only have about 20 files, 8" or more not counting shorter slimmer ones and store them with handles in a series of cable hangers, those things that looks like a rake or a comb.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Oh, you didn't really "ring my safety bell". :lol: That wasn't really a comment on specifically what you said, but rather a general comment related to the often held forth (and seemingly referenced) opinion that using a file without a handle is somewhat similar to juggling chainsaws running full throttle while blindfolded. ;)

And like you, I use them far less than I once did. I've made lots of stuff over the years with common hand tools and files, but I can now make much better stuff in far less time. However, the files do still get fairly frequent use, and I've not once entertained the notion of pairing them down.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

I use a small number of my files "handle-less" and on those I have rounded the tang end and eased the tang sides, then Cratex-ed everything smooth.
jworman

Post by jworman »

myrickmachine wrote:Looking for designs for storing metal files. I have seen a knife block affair, but I want to wall mount say 10-15 of them. Like to making out of wood- anyone have any unique designs? Hitting a mental blockage on this one and if you google anything with files in it you get filing cabinets...
A few years ago I read a book of shop tips. In it the author suggested drilling a hole in a golf ball for a file handle. I tried it and liked it. The file was comfortable and the golf ball handle gave pretty good control

There was only one problem. If you have many files, the golf balls make storage a real problem.

I had an old Sears (Chamerlin) garage door opener and the "T" track looked to be just what I wanted. I just welded 6" strips of "T" to a piece of angle iron and mounted to a wall. I've even added a label to each slot telling what kind of file is stored in the space.

I've never looked back. My files are easy to use and they are easy to store. They don't rub against each other as the golf balls serve as a spacer.
Attachments
file storage.jpg
TRX

Post by TRX »

Hmm,,, I don't think much of the golf balls for filing in a vise, but they look like they might be the feline's posterior for filing on the lathe. The main problem I run into on the lathe is the occasional kickback, where I can get a smart whack from the small-diameter handles most of my files have.

[web search] Good grief, there are web vendors that sell nothing but used golf balls! Who would ha' thunk it?
stevec

Post by stevec »

Those are obviously stolen driving range balls! :lol: