5C Collet Slide Mount for Lathe Faceplate

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: 5C Collet Slide Mount for Lathe Faceplate

Post by seal killer »

Jose--
Jose Rivera wrote:Bill, I have never done a crank yet, but seeing videos of people that are machining cranks for small engines they create the off-set by putting four center drill spots, one on each end, and machine between centers.
In this way it will repeat exactly at ever set-up change.

Another of my two-cents !!
I don't quite understand. (Normal, for me.) Did you mean two on each end?

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Yeah, one on center and second with the amount of off-set, same on the opposite end at exactly the same vertical axis.

What you are making will "work" with a relatively short crank, where you don't need to support the other end with the live center in the tail-stock.
Also the overhang that your fixture will case it may not feasible to free-air machining because of ( chatter ) and end support would be necessary.

Now, being lazy by nature ... I have not read all the postings and since you've been wanting to make steam engines, I assume that is the why of your creation.
So if I am shooting blanks please forgive me.

Here is a video that shown what I know about machining a crank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YfTtGCsiD8

Jose
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Jose if you had read the post you would have saw that he was making a crank with multiple throws and the slide fixture is to ensure perfect 180 degree offsets of each throw.

Richard W.