Brown&Sharp Surface Grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Joe_Guidry

Brown&Sharp Surface Grinder

Post by Joe_Guidry »

B & S surface grinder body painted [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
sandman2234

Re: Brown&Sharp Surface Grinder

Post by sandman2234 »

Looks good, but didn't they have any gray?
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
wildbillstill

Post by wildbillstill »

looking good. what version is it. bearing spindle or bushing spindle. have you got all the parts? if you need parts let me know i have afew parts available you might have need of. i know that if you try and order them from B&S they are expensive as hell. just finished helping a friend of mine put his back in shape. it is a 6x18 flat belt driven.
Joe_Guidry

Post by Joe_Guidry »

Sandman, don't want any gray in the shop, I have several machines, from Grabber Green, and everthing in between, just a change and they are bright.
Joe_Guidry

Post by Joe_Guidry »

Wildbill, This one is a flat belt drive, should have all the parts, don't really know, I just got a manual, it has both bushing and bearing, as far as I can tell, I sure would appreicate parts if need, would you sell some, and what do you have, thanks, Joe
wildbillstill

Post by wildbillstill »

yes joe i would be glad to sell the spare parts i have,tell me what you need i might have them. i have about 40 different parts and assemblies that i have aquired. i also have drawings and specs on cross feed parts,like indexing paul and the indexing wheel. if you have the manual, find the parts that you are missing and e-mail me the page and i can reference from there to see if i have the part,or parts you need.
Joe_Guidry

Post by Joe_Guidry »

Thanks, willbill, soon as I can build enough courage to put my hands in the cold solvant to clean the parts I will be in touch, thanks, Joe Guidry
widderj

Post by widderj »

WildBillStill,
I have a 6X18 Flat belt drive that I took the spindle apart on and are presenty trying to sracp it using the spindle as the refference, as the manual says to do. There is the remains of pin or spring that looks like it prevented the thrust bearing, that pushes the spindle into the taper, from rotating. By chance do you know if this just a pin or is it more elaborate. If it is just a pin it would be in a hole approximatey .25 inches in diameter and have about .20 inches of play. I also was wondering if you minded helping me out with parts, if I should need them? The oil slinger on the back of the spindle is also missing I would think any ring pressed on would work.

Thanks

Jeff
wildbillstill

Post by wildbillstill »

i am not sure about the pin or oil slinger at this time,but i will see if i can borrow the manual from a friend and check it out,i also have a spindle and bushing set i can look at. yes i would be glad to help with parts if i have them available. if you have a maual that will help in letting me know what parts you may need.
widderj

Post by widderj »

WildBillStill.
I have a manual and parts list and neither of them show the two parts I am refering to, however the oil slinger is refered to. If you need a copy of either of the two pubs I have let me know.

Jeff
wildbillstill

Post by wildbillstill »

yes i would appreciate a copy of either or both manuals you have. woild make it easier to figure out what is needed for replacement parts. it may also help on my grinder which is an old LaSalle which seems to have several interchangable parts with a #2 B&S grinder. e-mail me with the particulars. address is wildbillstill@hotmail.com