eBay deal !

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

Jose Rivera

eBay deal !

Post by Jose Rivera » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 pm

There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

Flybynight

Re: eBay deal !

Post by Flybynight » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:51 am

Nice, but about $8,000 more of a deal for me.
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.

WJH

Post by WJH » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:32 pm

High quality tools but at that price you can buy tools with much more mass and capacity. Even cnc.

AiR_GuNNeR

Post by AiR_GuNNeR » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Nice machines, but they went for too much. I picked up a fully loaded Emco V13 for $2500 a few months back.

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:42 pm

You could have a very nice 10EE for that kind of money.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

spro

Post by spro » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 am

By reading these responses i think we miss the point. It is that these machines Do command that price and JR Knows how to use them to fine work. There is evidence to support that fact. So there are better deals and that is wonderful.

WJH

Post by WJH » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

spro wrote:By reading these responses i think we miss the point. It is that these machines Do command that price and JR Knows how to use them to fine work. There is evidence to support that fact. So there are better deals and that is wonderful.
With out a doubt they are very high quality machines. They do attract prices that high and people who can't see the bigger picture will gladly pay those prices.
What I see is a light duty round column mill and a very nice light weight 11" lathe.

pete

Post by pete » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 pm

For the most part I'd agree about what you could buy for the selling price of that lathe and mill. And yes an excellent condition Monarch EE is sure high on my list of what I'd love to have "IF" my shop had a concrete floor. All of us don't have that. Back in 1989 I was thinking long and hard about buying this exact lathe and mill combination or a Z 28 IROC, The car decision won. Given the accessories shown, you would have been looking at well in excess of $35,000 to buy everything in those pictures brand new. Also given what those pictures are showing, I'd have to suspect that equipment has less than 20 hours of very careful use or maybe even less. I know just enough about Emco's equipment, quality, and built in accuracies that the selling price was certainly not overpriced given it's condition. Had that been avaliable when I was looking for my last lathe? I wouldn't have hesitated to buy it at that price. What I did buy was as close to that Emco lathe as I could find anyway. I strongly doubt it's 1/5th of the Emco's quality and durability for it's $4,000 selling price.

There was a far less capable Myford Super 7 with a nice range of extra tooling still in the crate from 1987? listed on Ebay a few months ago with a BIN price of $20,000. That Emco would eat any super 7 made. I sure hope the buyer knows and respects what they were lucky enough to buy. That Emco certainly isn't heavy duty commercial quality, but it's about top of the line for what most of us would like that do this as a hobby.

Pete