Looking for a Rolling Tool Cabinet

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Looking for a Rolling Tool Cabinet

Post by BadDog »

If they say it can't be repaired, I would guess it's probably a busted cabinet. Like broken out around the casters, welds, or something.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ken572

Post by ken572 »

BadDog wrote:If they say it can't be repaired, I would guess it's probably a busted cabinet. Like broken out around the casters, welds, or something.
Russ,
Those you mention are all easy, basic, hand tools,
small O.A. torch, and or small Arc, Mig, or Tig welder
type repair's :shock: :?:

Snap-On just wants to sell another roller box :roll: :evil:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

I bought my wife a top and bottom HF tool box and filled it up with the basic tools she uses so she would quit asking me for my tools. For the light duty stuff she does (stained glass, simple home repairs, and furniture refinishing) it works great. I actually thought it was a fairly good quality box for the money. It beats the the sears craftsman boxes for sure. It does not stack up to the Snapon boxes that I have at work but for home or hobby use, I can't see a problem with it.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

ken572 wrote:
BadDog wrote:If they say it can't be repaired, I would guess it's probably a busted cabinet. Like broken out around the casters, welds, or something.
Russ,
Those you mention are all easy, basic, hand tools,
small O.A. torch, and or small Arc, Mig, or Tig welder
type repair's :shock: :?:
I could not agree more, and that's just what I would do, but many home machinists and/or mechanics don't have welding tools and/or skills. And from Snap-On's (or any vendor's) perspective, if they can't ship a part to be installed to correct, it is "beyond repair" in their estimation. Welding means empty, clean/prep, weld, clean/prep, and then refinish. And the finish, to be up to original standards, is also not something that can be easily achieved.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Andy,

See if you can find your broken Snap-On Box here :wink:

http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.php

Ken. :)
One must remember.
Ken.
APozzi

Post by APozzi »

Andy, I have to ask

What broke on the old Snap-On box,
that can't be repaired

Can we see pictures of it's damage
The slides are broken. They are not ball bearing. According to Snap-on the slides are not available. They might be available somewhere else. I haven't checked. Since my father passed I am taking care of my mother. Time is very important. I don't want to wate it on fixing a tool box.

His box was made in 1961 +/- it is like the 307B with the matching top. He has the thing cramed with tools. He was in auto repair for 30+ years. Some of the stuff I will never use. Those items I give to the person who is renting are shop.

As for pictures....I would have to strip a couple of drawers to get a picture of the damage. The drawers were overloaded.

I'm sure with time it could be fixed.

I appreciate all of the comments on the HF box. The one in the pictures is the one I like. It's 44" wide and has quite a few shallow drawers.

Thanks,
Andy P
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Andy,

My condolence’s on the passing of your father.

Ken.
One must remember.
Ken.
APozzi

Post by APozzi »

Thank you. He was a GREAT father. It was kidney failure. No pain. Fast.

The top box is a KRA 361A
Bottom is a KRA 300B

The casters were replaced.

The problem is with 2 of the drawers. I think a weld broke on eack of the drawers.

For being in actual service from 1961 to 1988 the top and bottom box are in good shape. One of the collectors from the Snap-on site wanted to purchase them. I asked about a price and I never heard back.

Andy
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Andy,
I've been reading through the posts concerning your dilema with your Snap-On tool box. First, pretty much anything is repairable if you want to invest the time and money and it sounds like your Snap-On will require a little of each. But, definitely doable.

Over the past 40 odd years I've used quite a few different brands of tool cabinets including Snap-On. My personal opinion is that Snap-On makes a decent cabinet, but WAAAAAY over priced. For the money Snap-On wants for their cabinets, I'd much rather invest in Vidmar or Lista.

I have a Craftsman top box and roll-away in my garage that I've had since the early 70's and it has served me well even though it has spent most of it's life grossly overloaded. When I retired and started this machining hobby, I needed another cabinet for the machine tooling. I found a newer Craftsman top box and rollaway in very nice condition on Craigs List and bought it. As soon as I got it home sitting next to my old Craftsman it was immediately evident that it was inferior to the old box. I used it for a few months and soon ran out of room so was again looking for a tool chest. I looked at the HF cabinets and then one day while shopping at Costco, I ran across what I was looking for. It is a 36W x 18D Homak top box and roll-away (and of course it's made in China !) I think it is a pretty well constructed unit (definitely superior to the newer Craftsman that I bought) and it was about $450. You may want to consider looking at the tool cabinets at Costco before you make your decision.

Ted
Attachments
DSCN0835-1.jpg
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

blackfriday add are out and craftsman is touting a tool box with 50lb slides and 600 lg casters on the bottom
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

The HF boxes are now better than the C-man stuff, sorry to say. The C-man ball bearing is OK, but people that own the HF rate it higher than the C-man. I personally have C-man units but they are quiet glide and I've had my 40 for a few years, before the quality really started going down. Search around on the Garage Journal - lots of people use the HF boxes. Here's one use:
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
CraigS

Post by CraigS »

Speaking of tool boxes. Anyone ever replace the metal on metal drawer slides with something better. I have some Craftsman and a couple of Kennedy's that don't slide all that well. Possibly mill something from UHMD or Delrin.

Craig