Wilton 1208 drill press vise

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

flutedchamber

Wilton 1208 drill press vise

Post by flutedchamber »

A word of warning for anyone that has their heart set on a Wilton 1208, 8 inch drill press vise. They are now made in Taiwan, not the USA. Wilton does not state WHERE they are made on their website. They no longer carry the lifetime warranty, just a two year warranty, and the usual high price of about $300. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box today and there was a tiny sticker, about 1/2 X 3/16 that had TAIWAN printed on it. I called Wilton, and yes, some of their products are made outside of the USA. My research shows everything but bench vises and clamps are made offshore.
oldvan

Re: Wilton 1208 drill press vise

Post by oldvan »

Can you give us some insights as to the vise's quality, fit & finish?
spro

Post by spro »

That's true and more to Where. Taiwan has been an Ally to our Country for many years and always under pressure by China. Parts of the Coallition or however it's spelled, meant death to many of Their Finest as well as Japanese and so Many more. Strategic is a thing outside this board yet not everything made in Taiwan is the same as any time before. I salute them, over there, with the perseverance as the foundations change.
flutedchamber

Post by flutedchamber »

oldvan wrote:Can you give us some insights as to the vise's quality, fit & finish?
The slide bars on the vise (the three rods that the movable jaw slide on) appear to be as well finished as the US made unit, of equal size but the hardness is unknown. I'm not going to take a file to the new vise to see how hard they made them. A month or so of use should show how well they are made.

The castings are not of the same high quality as the US model. More rough, a tiny bit lopsided, perhaps a bit smaller. An oil hole that at one time was drilled is now rough cast. I'd say the vise, so far, seems about 75% to 80% of the US model, but AT THE OLD US PRICE AND ONLY A TWO YEAR WARRANTY.

The Wilton website does not mention WHERE the vise is made. Some vises are labeled in the description as "Made in USA", and in others that phrase is absent. They forgot how to print "Made in Taiwan"??? Poor business practice in my eyes.

My point is, if this vise is every bit as good as the old US model, why not give it the lifetime warranty? I've NEVER seen one of the old US vises break, NEVER. That tells me the casting is not of the same quality.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Unfortunately, I think it is considered good business practice, but that is not necessarily good for the consumer...

I think warranty periods carry some financial liability that must be carried on the books.

It is a sad state of things.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
stevec

Post by stevec »

ctwo wrote: I think warranty periods carry some financial liability that must be carried on the books.
when the knowlege of the inferiority of the product exists that liabilty becomes a major concern.
It is truly a sad state.

There were times when the production of a superior product would justify the cost . But that time appears to have past.
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

flutedchamber wrote:I'd say the vise, so far, seems about 75% to 80% of the US model, but AT THE OLD US PRICE AND ONLY A TWO YEAR WARRANTY. ... My point is, if this vise is every bit as good as the old US model, why not give it the lifetime warranty? I've NEVER seen one of the old US vises break, NEVER. That tells me the casting is not of the same quality.
If they never broke, a longer warranty period was meaningless. If a vise fails after using more than TWO YEARS of use, I'd suspect something that a warranty should not cover. When a lifetime warranty results in giving free replacements to those who abuse or wear out things, it needlessly costs more to everyone else.

After a Google search for this vise, I see that you are mighty fired up to tell everyone, including those on
Practical Machinist and those on
Hobby-Machinist; maybe you can shame Wilton into returning the manufacture of these to the USA, but expect the price to skyrocket.
flutedchamber

Post by flutedchamber »

oldvan wrote:
flutedchamber wrote:I'd say the vise, so far, seems about 75% to 80% of the US model, but AT THE OLD US PRICE AND ONLY A TWO YEAR WARRANTY. ... My point is, if this vise is every bit as good as the old US model, why not give it the lifetime warranty? I've NEVER seen one of the old US vises break, NEVER. That tells me the casting is not of the same quality.
If they never broke, a longer warranty period was meaningless. If a vise fails after using more than TWO YEARS of use, I'd suspect something that a warranty should not cover. When a lifetime warranty results in giving free replacements to those who abuse or wear out things, it needlessly costs more to everyone else.

After a Google search for this vise, I see that you are mighty fired up to tell everyone, including those on
Practical Machinist and those on
Hobby-Machinist; maybe you can shame Wilton into returning the manufacture of these to the USA, but expect the price to skyrocket.
If that is the case, then why doesn't the company give a two year warranty on all of their products, even those made in the US?

Yes, I told everyone, same post word for word, and not a lie in it. Actually, I posted on 7 websites, including this one. Does that make me a bad person? If something is good I praise it, if it isn't... As far as prices skyrocketing if the unit was made in the US, the bench vises, still made in the US with a lifetime warranty have risen very little in price over the years. It's cheaper to make it in Taiwan, so it's made low and sold high. Then the increased profits are pocketed.

I've sent Wilton a long letter actually, Wilton is now just a name. I expect no answer.
Last edited by flutedchamber on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flutedchamber

Post by flutedchamber »

stevec wrote:
ctwo wrote: I think warranty periods carry some financial liability that must be carried on the books.
when the knowlege of the inferiority of the product exists that liabilty becomes a major concern.
It is truly a sad state.

There were times when the production of a superior product would justify the cost . But that time appears to have past.
Now is the time of making a product that will last just longer than the warranty and then selling a replacement when that one breaks. Modern "good business practice."
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

flutedchamber wrote: I'd say the vise, so far, seems about 75% to 80% of the US model, but AT THE OLD US PRICE AND ONLY A TWO YEAR WARRANTY.
Yes, Wonder why the US has no industry anymore.
A Bit OT: Last year I went to buy some "Caphart" cold weather gear. Their stuff is expensive.
As I tried it on, I noticed a small tag down low Made in China."
But, the price wasn't any cheaper. So, it went back on the shelf.
And I have told others, and they really don't believe me.
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I've heard that some Carhartt stuff is made in Mexico and China, but I haven't seen any myself. I don't doubt it though.

I just got some new Carhartt work pants...and they are labeled 'Made in USA'....two 'Made in USA' labels on 'em even. I took a look at my flannel lined jacket, and it is USA as well....but it is 10 years old. It's something I plan on replacing soon....it kind of looks like a clown outfit with all the patches coverin' the holes in it.....burned, battery acid, sharp things.... I'll be payin' attention to the labels when I'm browsing the local feed store.

As far as Wilton....they are owned by WMH now, who also owns Jet...so who knows....it's a price driven market, so I'm sure they are lookin' at ways to make more money, and/or compete.....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

We are the fattened calf to be served to others. We are to consume and not produce. You must understand that others do not see things the way we do. They already have a destination in mind. They will change things to meet that.