cushman airflash super-spacer need info on use!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

nebtnj

cushman airflash super-spacer need info on use!!

Post by nebtnj »

i bought a cushman 6" airflash super spacer . it was sitting on a shelf in a shop since new was never used. it usescomp. air to rotate. really cool!!!! but i dont have the complete manual on how to set up a control circuit (110v) to control it completely . I think manually indexing i can only stop at a limited number of indexes. i also cant "zero it" yet. anyone have some experience wiht these or a manual? also missing little pins that control te index, no big deal i can machine these. i will try to attach a pic to jog your memory. it is really a cool tool i just need to figure it out! nothing like hitting a button and waching ot rotate!!! its fun just to wach!!! haha thnx ben ignore the funny guy under the truck where the tranny should be! [image]http://www.geocities.com/benny_naylor/p ... 6908340685[/image]
D_R

Re: cushman airflash super-spacer need info on use!!

Post by D_R »

Hey Ben,

Small world! I have one of those too. I've been thinking about wiring it into my CNC mill so it'll index automatically under the CNC program's control.

Like you I don't have the info on connecting it for power. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll dial out a little and see what I can find.

Your's is a 6". Mine is almost 6" from the base to spindle center line. Is that the same as yours?
nebtnj

Post by nebtnj »

dont know if you got my email . i do have the manual for it. i though it was missing a page but its not. have you been using yours manually indexing it? i dont quite have it all worked out yet. did you make yours "0" correclty yet? when i set mine to 0 it never seems to make it back there after i spin it around. ! Its still new to me. the wiring schematic is there in the manual. but it leaves a little to be desired. i think to get the full use (all 24 or howevermany indexes) you have to use the wiring set up. yea mine is 6 " to the center and the round face is 7" diam. let me know if you have been using yours. i wnat some tips. can send manual to you too if you need it.
D_R

Post by D_R »

Ben,

No I haven't been using mine. Actually I have two of them, one complete and one for parts.

I started playing around with the better of the two and noticed it was indexing odd amounts. It turns out someone made a cistom rachet plate for a special job.

The bad one which is missing parts had the regular 48 position rachet wheel so I switched them.

Mine won't "zero" exactly, the pointer is on about 2 degrees in the zero position. From taking it apart I can see there's no way to change that.

This morning I called Cushman Industries and they faxed a copy of the manual. The manual dosen't have all the info on the wiring. When I spoke with their expert he said the wiring may be different on these units depending on how they were ordered from the factory. When they were ordered you had to specify what machine you wanted to interface to and they wired them accordingly. One of these days I'll spend some time tracing the wiring to see which connector pins are for what. I know what my machine needs in the way of interface connections so it shouldn't be too hard.
hommachtek2

Post by hommachtek2 »

New Guy just joined Home Machinist and looking forward to the expertise of all. Last time I machined anything was in High School Metal Shop.
Retired now and want to make it a Hobby. Got my hands on a 6" Cushman Air Flash Super Spacer and need any and all info on its operation. I noticed this thread and was wondering if you still had copies of the manual for it? Have you figured out pinout for connector? Have you used yours? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ted
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Please be advised that the two individuals in this thread have not been on this board for more than ten years. I expect you won't hear from either of them, although it's possible other readers may offer something.

Welcome to the board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.