How to Make Blind Six-Sided Hole for Allen Wrench?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: How to Make Blind Six-Sided Hole for Allen Wrench?

Post by GlennW »

SteveHGraham wrote:The screw has a dial on one end, with graduations around it, and threads at the other, to go into the body of the head. In the center of the dial, there is a socket that takes an Allen wrench. I can't tell, but it looks like the socket was cut into the body of the screw. It may be that a piece of metal with a socket in it was pressed in there, but I doubt it.
Start with a Shoulder Bolt of appropriate size.
shoulder.jpg
shoulder.jpg (3.01 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
True up the head OD.

True and thread the shank to the required dimensions.

Machine a disc to press onto the head and machine it to size for the dial. (perhaps the shoulder bolt has a large enough head already!)

Add graduation marks.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Not sure if this was said, but how about threading the hex hole to accept the appropriate size set screw and loctite in place?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
rodw

Post by rodw »

Just an idea, the drawbar on my Seig mill has a high tensile socket set screw (Allen key head bolt) in the end that is pinned. I assume there is a thread as well as the pin holding it in there.
RodW
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.vehiclemods.net.au
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Have you considered not making the hex socket, rather just using a new cap screw?(stainless)? and then press fit the dial onto the head of the cap screw?

OH, I see that was already suggested a few posts up. So I guess that I would agree . :D
GadgetBuilder

Post by GadgetBuilder »

A rotary broach is the usual way to make a 6 sided hole - but they're too expensive for the typical home shop.

Mike Cox came up with an inexpensive, modest effort way to make a rotary broach in the home shop,
see: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/rotary-broaching.html

I made one as an experiment and it worked very well. Except I made a hex the exact size I needed, expecting it to cut slightly over size. It didn't so if you make one allow a couple thou or the wrench won't fit.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This is all great info.

I have some half-inch S1 steel rod. My current plan is to cut a short piece that will fit in my arbor press. I'll turn down the end, and then I'll stick it in the chuck of a rotary table. I'll mount the rotary table on the mill and tilt the mill head 15°, and then I'll cut the turned part of the steel into a hex which has a 15° relief angle. Then I'll figure out how to harden the end of the hex.

I'll turn the rough form for the screw, including drilling out the hole for the hex wrench. I'll drill the first millimeter or so of the hole to the biggest diameter of the cutter, so it will act as a guide, with the rest of the hole drilled to the biggest diameter. Then I'll mount it on the arbor press, shoot some oil into the workpiece, and mash the cutter into it over and over. When I'm done I can put the screw in the lathe, machine a beveled face on it (removing the guide), cut the flanges that hold the screw in the boring head, and put threads on it.

I'm thinking I may use a piece of 304 stainless scrap. It looks pretty, and the screw doesn't have to be super tough.

The intelligent thing would be to have a raised area in the center of the screw, with a slot for a big screwdriver. It's actually a very stupid place for a hex wrench, because you don't need much torque to move a boring head, and it's easy to lose the miserable wrench. But this is becoming a quest, so I want to make the cutter.

I wish I had some tiny stamps so I could put numbers on the screw dial. I can inscribe graduations on it using the rotary table, if I can make some kind of pointy tool. I'll have to tilt the mill head again, so the point of the tool will maintain a constant depth in the beveled screw dial.

Will this work, or should I expect the usual explosion, shrapnel shower, and chemical fire?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here's what I got so far.

This stuff turns for crap, but it mills okay. I used a big carbide insert to turn it, and it looked pretty awful.

I read up, and it looks like I don't have the equipment to temper it optimally after I harden it. Apparently the 550° maximum temperature of my oven is barely hot enough to achieve anything. I'll toss it in there and see what happens.
Attachments
02 18 13 hex cutting tool before hardening.jpg
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Steve, I thought the end was supposed to be concave to allow the chip to pull in and curl away.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
catman81056

Post by catman81056 »

Tim Lewis
Paxton, Illinois
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

ctwo wrote:Steve, I thought the end was supposed to be concave to allow the chip to pull in and curl away.
News to me. I don't make these every day.

I heated the silly thing until it was orange and then quenched it in oil. Then I stuck it in the oven at 300 for half an hour. It's not hard. Guess I'll have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

A hex (Allen) wrench makes a decent broach if you heat the work piece red hot. You can also use the wrench for a mandrel in a drilled hole and forge the work around it with a hammer.
Don Young
oscer

Post by oscer »

Hi Steve, I'm no expert on heat treating but I've been playing around with it a little. When you heated it the first time did you check it with a magnet before the oil quench? When the magnet has no affect it is ready to quench. I've never used s 1 though so I have no comment on the draw step.
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin