Small Bandsaws

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Re: Small Bandsaws

Post by redneckalbertan »

stevec wrote:Redneck, I have had success brazing bimetal blades that wouldn't weld with my crummy car battery powered welder.
I chamfer the mating ends on the grinder and dress the brazing on the grinder after it cools. You have to be careful not to heat the teeth too much. Give it a try, it works for me.
That I will. My Dad has tried TIG welding them and has had less than stellar results with that. He would get an extended life out of the blades but hardly more cutting time than the time expended fixing the blade. Then it would break again beside the previous break... Which would be the expected place to break.

*Edit* After talking with my Dad today He corrected me, the break was not in the heat effected zone it was elsewhere on the blade. He believes that the blades were heavily fatigued by the time they broke the first time and continued breaking due to that.
Last edited by redneckalbertan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

redneckalbertan wrote: My Dad has tried TIG welding them and has had less than stellar results with that. He would get an extended life out of the blades but hardly more cutting time than the time expended fixing the blade. Then it would break again beside the previous break... Which would be the expected place to break.
I can't stress enough the importance of annealing the blade after welding. Mind you, I'm speaking of carbon steel blades, not the HSS type.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The Enco HOT Deals! ad this month has Starret flex back carbon steel blades on sale, the ones that fit my saw were available in 10 and 6 TPI. Thanks for the info.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Harold_V wrote:
redneckalbertan wrote: My Dad has tried TIG welding them and has had less than stellar results with that. He would get an extended life out of the blades but hardly more cutting time than the time expended fixing the blade. Then it would break again beside the previous break... Which would be the expected place to break.
I can't stress enough the importance of annealing the blade after welding. Mind you, I'm speaking of carbon steel blades, not the HSS type.

Harold
I edited my above post. I remembered wrong and after talking with my Dad today He said that the blades were breaking in different places, not in the heat affected zone beside the weld. Dads opinion is that the blades were thoroughly stressed prior to the first break and after they broke the first time the next fracture manifested itself somewhere else on the blade.

As I write this I am wondering if a person threw the whole blade in an oven after welding to anneal the entire thing, not just adjacent to the weld, would that extend the lifespan of the blade?
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Annealing the entire blade would result in soft teeth.

I tried out my new 10 TPI blade on a piece of 2 x 1/4 inch steel bar and got a square cut with a slight concave. Then I tried a piece of 2" diameter aluminum bar, 1/8" slice came out within 0.010" thickness all around. The 6 TPI seems like it will work better on aluminum.

How do you know how much blade weight is right? I was pushing it down manually a bit, otherwise it seemed to cut too slowly.

Oh yeah, before I started while I had the old blade off, the rear bearing, the one that rides the back edge of the blade, was stuck. I took the permanent shield off and cleaned out the fully packed aluminum shavings and repacked with grease, then replaced the straightened shield. I will be needing some real rubber sealed bearings soon. I can't believe I forgot to measure the thing. I believe it said K200 on it...

BTW, thanks again to whoever mentioned the tippy nature of this beast. I almost lost it but had my mind about me. After that I hung a brake rotor on the handle...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

redneckalbertan wrote:As I write this I am wondering if a person threw the whole blade in an oven after welding to anneal the entire thing, not just adjacent to the weld, would that extend the lifespan of the blade?
I expect not. I don't know that the blade is suffering from being too hard---the backs are not hardened, and I don't think heat treat at this point will restore any of the blade's integrity.

I've seen blades break from fatigue, which is one of the reasons I don't favor buying the bi-metal blades, in particular for saws with small diameter wheels. They flex the blade a lot more than larger wheels, which contribute to premature failure.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote:I tried out my new 10 TPI blade on a piece of 2 x 1/4 inch steel bar and got a square cut with a slight concave.
That's one of the negative aspects of having a saw that uses a ½" x ,025 blade. They tend to cut with a cup, and if you over feed, it gets worse. That's the only thing I don't like about my little Wells A7.
Then I tried a piece of 2" diameter aluminum bar, 1/8" slice came out within 0.010" thickness all around. The 6 TPI seems like it will work better on aluminum.
Yep, and a 4 pitch skip tooth will work all the better, assuming you're not cutting small diameter material (keep the *two teeth in the cut* rule in mind when making a blade choice.

I have six pitch blade stock and have made blades for my Wells A7. They cut great for large sized cuts, but the problem with concave cuts gets worse, as there's so little back to the blade. You get around that with a skip tooth blade, as the teeth are spaced but the gullet is widened instead of making it deeper in the blade. That provides for a little better support. Also helps if you can keep the blade well tensioned.
How do you know how much blade weight is right? I was pushing it down manually a bit, otherwise it seemed to cut too slowly.
You can rush the cut with small blades, as they respond with wonky cuts. Keep the blade well tensioned and allow the weight of the saw to make the cut. If you have a static hydraulic feed, use it to limit how fast the blade can cut. Keep an eye on the chips. If you're generating a respectable chip at the cut, you're probably doing fine. If not, investigate the reason. If you're using a blade that's too fine for the cut, the gullets load with chips and limit the blade's ability to cut. That tends to raise the temperature in the cut and wear the blade prematurely. As is almost always the case, a cutting tool that isn't generating a chip is usually being worn excessively.

Harold
tcbetka

Post by tcbetka »

This thread is somewhat old I realize, however I just wanted to update it and say that the Harbor Freight 4x6" band saw can be had this weekend (Labor Day) for $199. They are normally around $299, but recently have gone on sale for $249. However for the three-day holiday weekend, you can use a 20% coupon from their home page...so the final price (before shipping) is $199. I just bought one yesterday, as I've read mostly good reviews on that saw--and for $200 I figured it was hard to go wrong. With shipping, mine cost $221 plus change. Hard to beat that.

TB
Tom Betka
Green Bay, WI
Fabitfast

Post by Fabitfast »

It's a fine saw , you just probably need to watch the guides and stand.