Which Machine Scares You the Most?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Which Machine Scares You the Most?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Out of all the machines I have, the lathe and the table saw scare me the most. I'm wondering if other people feel the same way. I'm not scared of the mill at all, but when the lathe turns on, it seems like the whole garage rumbles, and I know that big motor could roll my arm up like a tube sock.

One reason I like my mini-lathe is that I feel much more relaxed when I use it. If my hand got stuck in there, it would stall instead of wrapping me around the work.

The table saw is just plain petrifying. I've seen so many photos of stumps and nubs, my blood pressure jumps every time I turn it on.

The mill, on the other hand, doesn't bother me at all, and the bench grinder only makes me mildly nervous.

Seems like my emotional reactions to the machines are a little out of sync with the degree of danger. A drill press can mess you up, but I get along very well with mine.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Re: Which Machine Scares You the Most?

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: and the bench grinder only makes me mildly nervous.
For a rational person, all it takes is one experience of a wheel coming apart to dispel the notion that a bench grinder should make you only *mildly nervous*. So long as everything is going well, yeah, they're safe, but an exploding wheel can be, and often is, fatal, as you are generally directly in line with the wheel.

Treat all shop equipment with respect.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I tell my kids this:

The scroll saw will give you a nasty cut
The sander will take some skin off
The band saw will take your finger off
The table saw will take your arm off
The lathe will grab you, pull you in and beat you to death

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

SteveM wrote: The lathe will grab you, pull you in and beat you to death
Steve
More like twist you up like warm taffy, the results having similar consistency. Lathe get's my vote, but I'm quite leery around most of them. Mine is a 7.5 hp 4600 lb brute, it wouldn't even notice me riding along...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

No machine scares me, on the other hand clown at the controls is something else again. :shock:

Pete
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

The machine that scares you the most is : The one you havent used yet.
Familiarity breeds contempt.
...lew...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SteveHGraham wrote:The table saw is just plain petrifying. I've seen so many photos of stumps and nubs, my blood pressure jumps every time I turn it on.
The other thing a table saw can do is kick the wood back. That's scary. Had that happen once. I make sure the wood is feeding properly and try to stay out of the way just in case.

My saw came without the anti-kickback and blade guard. I picked one up and need to install it.

Steve
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Lew,

I get what you meant: We take for granted the machines we use often. The machine we do not use or know, we go at very carefully.

They will all hurt you if you forget that they can. Being afraid may not be the right way to explain it but a fear under control does keep us healthy.

I don't like to see anyone who is truely "afraid" of something at the controls.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Which machine scares me the most?

Seeing one like this, where the foreword/reverse drum switch is mounted in a place where it could be easily bumped with a knee or leg, starting the spindle when hands are around the chuck while taking a measurement :roll:
switch.jpg
Put these things where you can easily get to them on purpose, not by accident! :wink:

Read my sig line...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Ike

Post by Ike »

As Harold said, I have a healthy respect for all the machines in my shop.
But, if I fear any of them, it's my old 60 rpm 1/2" hand?drill. That thing
will twist you like a pretzel and tie your hand to the trigger with the cord at the same time. :shock:
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

SteveM wrote:The other thing a table saw can do is kick the wood back. That's scary. Had that happen once. I make sure the wood is feeding properly and try to stay out of the way just in case.

My saw came without the anti-kickback and blade guard. I picked one up and need to install it.

Steve
I saw some guy on a woodworking forum who had a piece of wood hit him in the forehead. It peeled a flap back, so his skull was exposed. Unbelievable.

My saw has a 5 HP motor, so I think that would magnify any negative consequences.

I got a Shark Guard for it. Very nice.

RE Harold's remarks concerning the bench grinder, I stand over to the side when I turn it on, and I pray a little, but I'm not too nervous. The guards cover most of the stones, and I have a face shield.

My angle grinder is a little disturbing. I read about an industrial accident where one of these things came apart, and the wheel bits went through a guy's abdominal muscles and killed him.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I really can't see the "fear" thing. Respect and understanding which should always take precedence eliminates fear, at least for any rational thinking person. Fear is for children, not for full grown adults.Understand and respect your machine and safety rules and there is no reason for fear. Firearms are "fearful" things to many, but millions of soldiers and law enforcement personnel have gotten over their initial fear. Only when you lack fear, can you work safely. IMHO, if one has fear about a machine, I would question whether that person should be using that machine. As a brilliant person once said; "There is nothing to fear but fear itself". Fear is pretty much the same as a phobia. Some fear spiders or snakes. You learn to combat that fear through understanding and common sense, something that is mandatory in all aspects of our life. Please don't take this as a personal rebuke.
P.S. My original response to this thread was somehow removed.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi