Don't be Afraid

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Dave_C

Don't be Afraid

Post by Dave_C »

With all the wisdom and talent on this forum, I wonder sometimes if some of our new friends are intemidated to the point that they are afraid to ask what they think is a silly question? I say this because I read just this morning where someone said "I'm glad you ask that" as if they wanted too but did not.

I know we all say "there is no such thing as a dumb question". The only dumb question is the one we did not ask because we were afraid of what someone else might think of us or our skills.

The wisest man (or women) is the one who is smart enough to realize they don't know something and seek out the help of someone who does. This forum has some of the most highly skilled people in the trades and they are great to help others. I realize this is not common place in the world today so our new friends may find it a bit hard to believe.

It is true! We do not flame anyone, nor do we judge them for any question that they might ask. Take me for example: Self taught from this forum. I'm sure there are things that I do not know. Maybe I should, but because I am self taught, I just might not have needed some skill yet but I may need it in the future.

I will come here and ask because I know I can get good instruction.

Unlike Ford, Chevy or Dodge in the truck world, there is a "best" way to do things in the Machinist world. We have the benifit of having some people here who know what those best ways are and they will share!

Ask, have fun and be safe,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Lew Hartswick

Re: Don't be Afraid

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Yes indeed, ask the questions. BUT the biggest problem the newcomer has is deciding which of the
answers is "best" or even correct. :-) There is a tendency for some to give an "answer" to any
question even if they don't have the required knowledge. :-) Hopefully things will get settled out
but it can create problems if not treated judiciously. :-)
...lew...
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Lew,

I've noticed that as well, but even if an answer is not 100% correct, the members of the forum step up and help solve the problem.

We are Alpha Dogs indeed, but we don't bite!

Dave C.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I would tend to agree with you, but many times the inquirer doesn't provide all the information required to form an intelligent answer, thereby labeling it as dumb. I may have been guilty of this in the past, but I now try to not ask dumb questions. I try to think through my question before asking. I have posted "dumb" questions before and as soon as I hit the "submit" key, I realize it is dumb and retract it. What may sound dumb to one person, may not sound dumb to another. I'm sure people like Glenn and Harold, with all their experience would often see questions that they would regard as dumb.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Lew Hartswick wrote:There is a tendency for some to give an "answer" to any
question even if they don't have the required knowledge. :-) Hopefully things will get settled out
but it can create problems if not treated judiciously. :-)
...lew...
Not sure what to say about that. I do understand the problem, but should all of us who are less than expert not try to help simply because we may be wrong? When I came here, I mostly "took", though I tried to give back in areas where I did have experience, like use of fabrication related tools. Now I have done a fair bit of machining and feel I've learned to overcome most of my deficiencies, at least for the things I care about doing. So I try to give back with what I think I have learned along the way. It may still not mesh 100% with experts, but for whatever reason it is what I've observed and "learned". To me, the greatest thing about these forums is exactly what you express concern about. If ever question had to be 100% accurate as defined by community experts, I would not feel comfortable posting much of anything (which might be good I suppose). But I do feel comfortable simply because there are experts here who will call me on it and correct things if I am wrong. At that point I and the other poster learn and improve. Or, lacking direct instruction to correct deficiencies I don't even know I have (and so cannot correct), I may still not be able to get the approved/accurate/correct results, but again, the other posters can take away whatever they can.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Well to the point, I have offered advice that I thought was helpfull only to see later that I was wrong. So was that bad? Not at all, I learned by trying to help someone else. Had I not posted anything, I might have gone on thinking what I was doing was just fine.

But back to my original post: By making it easy for a new member to be wrong, they will ask. They may mistate questions and such, but as newbies, I would expect just that.

When I first got my lathe I didn't know X from Z. Didn't have a clue about rake angles, clearnace angles or anything else. I just wanted to learn. (And Play)

Dave C.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Our claim to fame on this board is our willingness to deal with folks who know little, and who may be equipped with a wide variety of machines, many of which are imports. We hope to treat all with respect. To belittle a reader because of a question that might be asked is not acceptable here. We want all readers to be comfortable.

None of us are born with skill and knowledge. It must be learned. This is a great place to accomplish that task.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Well! I consider a " WRONG " answer to be worse than no answer at all. In the case of insufficient
information in the question, then ask for the required info. before making a potentially costly/dangerous
answer. As an example I have quit even reading nearly all electrical questions due to the preponderance
of actual wrong/bad answers given on all the BBs I read. It almost gives me an ulcer to read some of
the replies given. So in self defense I give up. Maybe I should just quit reading any questions. I'm
too "old a Dog to learn new tricks" .
Bye.
...lew...
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I asked a simple question on another board and was told that I should be able to figure it out myself. I have no prior experience in that field and did state that. They told me to start with another simpler project,(after I bought that one already.) If I would have known the complexity I would not have started with that one, but, I will soldier on with what I have started. Nobody was born with this knowledge, We all had to learn it.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Lew Hartswick wrote:Well! I consider a " WRONG " answer to be worse than no answer at all.
I would agree without hesitation or reservation.

But how do I/we know it's wrong if we think we have a useful answer based on our experience (or possibly something relevant we've read). Perhaps we've misunderstood, forgotten, or misinterpreted something. So we need folks like you and others with knowledge and experience to set us straight when we are wrong, or at least to better inform others who may be reading. Now if someone is just talking (or typing) just to cause trouble or to "hear themselves talk" (I can think of some specific examples myself), I would prefer they went away for good, but that's not what I was getting at.

Please don't take it the wrong way Lew, but again, if an answer is offered in an honest attempt to help and NOT knowing it's "wrong" (in part or whole), what would you have us do? Should we not attempt to help just because we aren't an expert with 30 years experience? And even then, old dogs can still be wrong, or perhaps just behind the times. I for one welcome any help you or anyone else would care to offer on any subject. If the advise is bad, others with better knowledge will generally be along shortly to correct. For my part, you are welcome (and humbly requested) to correct me any time you see me post something that is not correct, and I suspect that's true of most others as well.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

BadDog wrote:For my part, you are welcome (and humbly requested) to correct me any time you see me post something that is not correct, and I suspect that's true of most others as well.
+1 on any of my posts . I have learned many things from this forum and have been treated in a most courteous manner . I feel that the answers given here have been right . If wrong they were corrected . Kudos to those that do know the proper ones !
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

As an example I have quit even reading nearly all electrical questions due to the preponderance
of actual wrong/bad answers given on all the BBs I read.
Amen to that. Electical/electronic circuit can be so complex to require "professional" knowledge and correcting a wrong statement(s) may require to start from very basic concept. I usually leave that to others and avoid to make enemies.

Going back to the original post...

Right or wrong is not the real issue, the point or value of this board is the discussion.

Think of this board as visiting with the members in someone shop and discussing some issue. Amicably, over a beer.
As a matter of fact this is what we do in the Austin metalworking group.

Each has different opinions, but eventually a consensus emerge and is up to the person asking to sort out the chaff from the kernels. By consensus I do not mean that majority is right, you wheight the opinions based on common sense and the opinion you formed on each member expertise/personality from previous posts. Just human nature.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX