NEED HELP! G&L surface grinder.. to buy or not to buy?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

keith524

NEED HELP! G&L surface grinder.. to buy or not to buy?

Post by keith524 »

here it is. I looked at it yesterday. I believe it not to be hydraulic. the guy said that he lowered it when he brought it home and never fooled with it since. everything moves fine. not sure if I want to take on the rebuild. its not too far from me. about 20 minutes.. I need a surface grinder but is this one a good one?

http://muncie.craigslist.org/tls/3814053010.html
GlennW

Re: NEED HELP! G&L surface grinder.. to buy or not to buy?

Post by GlennW »

I'd say keep looking.

It looks pretty tired and neglected, and a decent mag chuck added to that price will bring it up to where you could find something complete that is a lot newer and nicer for about the same money.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It also appears that G&L uses a 4.5" taper per foot wheel adapter, rather than the more common 3.00" taper per foot adapters that many other small surface grinders use.

May or may not be a factor.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I have never seen one like it before. With that said it looks like a knee mill with a grinding head on it. I wonder about table rock in the knee when moving the table back and forth. This may cause the work on longer parts to have a slight banana shape when checked on a granite surface plate. I would tend to shy away from it just because of the way it's built.

Richard W.
keith524

Post by keith524 »

I did just that, I ran after further investigation!! thanks for the help guy