ER 40 collet set, good price/good accuracy ??? advise

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

metalmole

ER 40 collet set, good price/good accuracy ??? advise

Post by metalmole »

I just got in my ER 40 collet plate chuck for my lathe, now I need to source a collet set, anyone with some advise on where they bought theirs, I don't mind paying up for a good set, but can't afford the cost of say a Kennametal set....also thought I should get an R8 holder for my mill as well....
metalmole

Re: ER 40 collet set, good price/good accuracy ??? advise

Post by metalmole »

WOW, I guess no one here has or knows what ER40 collets are...............
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

I have had experience with the ETM brand collet sets. They seem to be good quality and always performed well. Not cheap, but like they say, you usually get what you pay for. I believe they are available from the various machine tool suppliers like Enco, etc.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Torch

Post by Torch »

From what I have read, and in my limited experience, is that even the Chinese can't screw up a collet. So accuracy depends a lot more on the operator cleaning everything meticulously, lightly oiling the outside of the collet, and properly tightening it to spec. Which in the case of an ER-40 collet, is an amazingly high 140 ft-lbs.
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

CTC tools have standard and high precision collets for cheap to reasonable prices.

Dave