SAE 841 (Oilite) machining technique

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

arthur.marks

SAE 841 (Oilite) machining technique

Post by arthur.marks »

LivingLegend wrote:I've machined custom sized Oilite bushings in the past, and machining a custom or standard size bushing from solid rounds of Oilite "barstock" requires knowledge of how to do it and a certain technique. Plus, the toolbits used for boring and turning require the machinist grinding those toolbits to a specific geometry. Otherwise, the self lubricating properties of the Oilite will be rendered, for the most part, useless.... Restricted at the very least.
I have never heard this before. Can you elaborate, LL, or anyone else? What I am expecting to hear is probably that a standard boring tool will metallurgically "fold over" or otherwise "close off" the porous nature of the structure during machining. Thus, the impregnated oil does not have the ability to do its job on the fitted, rotating shaft. That is what my mind conjures up from the above quote, anyway. I need to make some new bushings for my outer horizontal milling arbor, so the subject is relevant to me at the moment. Thanks :)
sjames

Re: SAE 841 (Oilite) machining technique

Post by sjames »

ive never heard of any problems with single point tooling, but I have read that reaming, grinding or honing isn't recommended.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

http://www.oilite.com/PDFs/catalogeng.pdf

See page 6.

You might have to give 'em your e-mail to download the catalog.

I've machined the stuff for years. Small rad cutter, and shallow DOC seems to work best. Lower RPM's too....keep it cool.

Bill

Info here too: https://www.oilite.com/bmp.asp
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
arthur.marks

Post by arthur.marks »

Sounds pretty easy and normal to me, then, from the literature. :| Carrying on...
spro

Post by spro »

For those that know it, it is easy. I'm just a dude and I found machining older ones difficult. I was trying to defy what their purpose was. Sintered bronze. Brasses. It wasn't so much worrying whether I was closing the pores. It was by NOT cutting I was doing that And dulling my tool. :shock:
There is by doing in a logical manner described, by those who know, a way to cut under the skin initially and follow thru.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

arthur.marks wrote:Sounds pretty easy and normal to me, then, from the literature. :| Carrying on...
Yup....easy.
They recommend carbide, but I've done a bunch with HSS. I think they are figuring that a fella is gonna do a ten-thousand or something...not like me...and 10 or 20 of 'em. Sharp....and a small rad....no worries.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Another tip-- don't carry them around in Your pockets, or set them on a blueprint.