Home Made Tools

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mechanicalmagic

Home Made Tools

Post by mechanicalmagic »

I thought it would be a good idea to remind everyone that this is forum is open to the world. Some of us post tips, tricks and other neat stuff with the hope of helping others. Maybe some are unaware how far these are spread. A site I found last night has taken it to new heights, very well done, but folks need to keep the camera off your patentable toys.

Some Examples:
HOME MADE TOOLS
Harold_V
Dave J
Glenn Wegman

I have no connection with the site, just found it.
But I did have fun looking around

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
SteveM

Re: Home Made Tools

Post by SteveM »

Yes, if you put it out there for all to see, it's out there for ALL to see.

Good reminder on patentability.

It is an interesting web site.

Steve
Fabitfast

Post by Fabitfast »

I knew that site before. But never get the chance to explore. Seems like I will busy checking that site.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Posting things on the internet is a lot like a joke I heard years ago about dating someone that works at the same company:

It's like getting undressed in the window of Macy's. No matter how you do it, EVERYONE will notice.

Steve
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

Patents have become a joke in this country anyway. You spend a lot of money to get a piece of paper, and some crooked lawyer will steel it from you anyway. If the Chinese don't get it first.
Never the less putting your ideas out there for everyone to look at is kind of what the internet is all about. I use your good ideas and hopefully donate a few good ones in exchange. I really appreciate the good people who are out there sharing their knowledge with us Hobby Machinists. But like Glen said, you put it on the Net and it is out there for ever, no calling it back.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Interesting. I found 2 things that I originally posted here. Nothing special.
But it is a fact, post on the Internet and the world can access it. If you can afford an official patent, you also may also need more funds to defend it. Foreign hyjackers are another problem.
Ernie F.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

I just looked at that site and searched with my name. Find a few I've posted but they are about
worthless without the rest of the info from the original post. The simple one pix does not tell enough
to actually use the idea. Can't imagine what the "pirate" had in mind that did the "collecting" . If he
had made a link to the original post it would have been useful.
...lew...
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

I was under the impression that all of them have links to the original posting. I have some things on there, too, but I have to admit I don't recall if I submitted them, or if "Home Made Tools" asked permission to use them. When asked, I always give permission to use my stuff as long as it carries appropriate attribution.

Personally, I can't imagine posting anything - even in an e-mail - that I would consider secret or proprietary. The Internet is wide open, and that's the way it is.

Patents. Now there's a topic. Some folks see some of the little gizmos or tools I make up and say, "Wow - you should patent that!" My only wisdom on the subject is to take that comment for what it is, a simple compliment. I do have some unfortunate friends who have gone to the expense and trouble of patenting things like mine, and tried to market them, but none has recouped the expense.

I make and sell one little tool that has paid for quite a bit of my machinery at this point, but if somebody comes along an makes one like it in China, patents it, or otherwise cuts me out, I'll simply quit making it, and go on to something else.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Lew Hartswick wrote:The simple one pix does not tell enough to actually use the idea. Can't imagine what the "pirate" had in mind that did the "collecting" . If he
had made a link to the original post it would have been useful.
He did.

Click on the pic and you will find the link.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harvey M Richards

Post by Harvey M Richards »

Frank Ford wrote: I make and sell one little tool that has paid for quite a bit of my machinery at this point, but if somebody comes along an makes one like it in China, patents it, or otherwise cuts me out, I'll simply quit making it, and go on to something else.
I have some tools that I make and sell also. I had a so called friend that asked for one. Sent it with a bill. It came back with a note that he couldn't afford it at the moment. He then had someone copy it and started selling them himself. He found out that there wasn't much of a profit in it and then quit selling them.

I have several items on Home Made Tools. Most of them I submitted. I think the site is a great idea and a very useful resource (as is your site Frank).
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

Through the years i have made hundreds of little tools for electricians, splicers, and linemen. But i never sell them i only give them to friends. But it is amazing that if people know you, (Not especially friends) they are put out to give you a dime for something you have made. Any time someone asks for one of my specialty tools, and i really do not want to make one for them, I ask them to supply the material, and i will be glad to make the tool for them. I even tell them where they can purchase the material, Never yet have i had a single person that had the gumption to even come up with the material. Thing is I am getting old and ready to retire, I wish there were someone working in my area that would carry on and supply my local with my specialty tools. No one seams to want to do any more than they have to these days.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

mike all you can do is go for the good karma. many small specialty tools for the trades are good in the hands of a person who knows what the use is.

in the many years of teaching aprentices i have lost count of the number of dog leg preventers and conduit levels that have been made.