Tool Boxes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jim314159

Tool Boxes

Post by jim314159 »

Hello Gents,

I recently moved to a workshop with a lot fewer built-in drawers than the last one (but this one is forklift accessible; a good trade) and I need someplace to keep my tools and whatnot (calipers, mics, various blocks, punches, you get it). I'm looking at rolling tool boxes and could use some guidance. I can't really afford and probably don't need something as heavy duty as a Vidmar or Lista or even a Snap On, but I don't want to buy flimsy junk either.

Are the new Kennedy or Grizzly branded tool boxes worth their salt? I think I'd prefer a metal box over the fancy wooden ones that are available, but I'm open to suggestions as well.

Thanks for any advice/opinions!

--jim
BadDog

Re: Tool Boxes

Post by BadDog »

I love my Vidmar/Lista/Lyonn/Nu-Era/etc cabinets. Shop around, you might find some good deals. The most I've had to pay is $500 (LOTS of drawers on that one), and I've paid as little as $50.

That said, if I had to just go out and get something, I would get the HF tall box stack they usually have on sale for around $350 or less. I recently wanted to repackage my automotive type tools into something that was more roomy, better drawers, and portable to roll out on the apron when working on off road trucks and such. My old Craftsman "professional" lower box was just too crowded, and the drawers overloaded were a hassle to use. Anyway, I bought the HF tall box and have been quite happy with it for general mechanic stuff. Lots of drawers from thin to deeper, works quite well, particularly for the price.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm not convinced a name brand is a necessity, but I will comment on the drawer glides. Avoid anything that isn't roller type. I have a couple* (old) tool boxes that have the old friction slides, and I hate them. They're not bad when new, but as they wear the effort to move them becomes greater and greater to the point where the drawers simply don't move well. No amount of lubrication makes them work easier. I am now giving serious thought to installing ball bearing slides, in spite of the fact that it will be a tough job to do.
*One is a Kennedy, the other a Mac.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Harold_V wrote: Avoid anything that isn't roller type.
I can't agree strongly enough. The HF I referenced is ball slide, and the main reason I wanted to replace the 30 year old Craftsman (other than more drawers) is the stiff slides.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

FWIW? My information may or may not be current since it's been 5 or 6 years since I last had my hands on any of the Grizzly boxes. But at that time I was fairly happy with what I saw in the Grizzly showroom. No doubt the Vidmar's/Lista's etc would be heavier gauge metal with better built slides and locks. But I did think there ball bearing slides operated really smoothly, and the boxes were built from fairly heavy gauge sheet metal, and overall were well worth Grizzly's price. But I think I'd want to hear from a member here who has owned some of them for quite awhile just to check their long term durability. I'm needing some too, so I'd be interested in peoples thoughts who own them.

Pete
jim314159

Post by jim314159 »

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses! I'll keep stalking Craigslist for a while before I throw in the towel and buy new. Who'd have thought Harbor Freight actually had a quality option? Live and learn. :)

--jim
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Jim,

One of the most pleasant surprises of my life was when I went to shop for tool boxes. I looked at all the Sears (Crapsmans, sheet metal too light guage) and then Kobalt at Lowes (Way over priced for quality IMHO) and then Snap on and some others.

Then I happend to be in the Grizzly showroom in Springfield, MO. and I pulled the handle on one of the 10 drawer cabinets they had on display. The sheet metal was heavier than the others, the slides were rollers, it came with drawer liners and the handles can hold the included lables.

The casters are good and solid and it comes with a side shelf. All for under $400..

Still have it, love it. Would have liked a color other than green but green is good in this case.

I'd do it again if I needed another tool cabinet.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
jim314159

Post by jim314159 »

So I found an 11 drawer Vidmar (PN SCU3014AL) on CL that is about 5' tall for $800. I figure I can get a welding shop to put together a base for casters for little money. The cabinet sells new for $3800; thoughts? Thanks!

--jim
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

This is not one of those areas where you can cut corners and not feel the pain every time you reach for a tool. I heartily agree with people above who are saying to buy a high end box used instead of a new cheap one. A cheap one even new will bring you a thousand types of grief over the time you own it.

In my case I already have been working on cars for over 30 years so have a number of very large and expensive professional boxes. They weigh a ton, they cost a lot, but they keep working perfectly year after year of tough use. When I started machining I picked up a used Gerstner to put my measuring stuff in. Nice box, bit pricey even used but it does the job. Rust sucks on measuring stuff.

My buyer beware is this. I wanted a cheap cabinet to put between my vertical and horizontal mill. My tool corner is on the other side of the garage and it was annoying walking over there every time I needed to get some parallels or scribes or clamps. You know, all the little stuff you constantly are reaching for and would like close at hand but are too big or numerous to fit in one of those tool trays. So I bought that Craftsman 3 box combo, 5 drawer roll away, 2 drawer mid, like 5 drawer or something box on top. On sale at Osh for like $325. I figured that would work just fine, plus it was going to get hosed with swarf and chips and such and I didn't want the Gerstner or one of my multi thousand dollar boxes eating that.

As I was loading it up with stuff I decided to put my little M1-M2 (.061-.500) set of gauge pins in the biggest bottom drawer. I set them in the middle back bottom. I opened the drawer quickly to see how much room I had left and the left slider assembly exploded. Ball bearing sliders on the ground and inside. Metal bent. I had to spend a half hour hunting all the pieces back together and reassembling it. It did not want to be apart it was a total pita to fix. One of those you need 3 hands things. That was with like 20lbs. I now am much more careful with them. I got a reminder of you get what you pay for, I had been spoiled by good boxes for too long. I can stand in the bottom drawer of my big boxes and it doesn't bother them.

I was going to link which ones they were as kind of buyer beware but damn if Craftsman doesn't have like 4 sets of boxes that all look exactly the same, say they have nearly the same features and cost the same. Impossible to tell exactly which mine are. It would be really easy to buy the cheapest and get complete junk. It also looks like you can get ones that look exactly the same but are twice the price and much better quality. Not sure who is doing their marketing but they need to get their product differentiation in order. What a mess.

Anyway, buy the best quality you can afford, even if used if the condition is good. Great bargains to be had. You will be happier in the long run. Good tools are an investment.
blackdog

Post by blackdog »

jim314159 wrote: Are the new Kennedy or Grizzly branded tool boxes worth their salt? I think I'd prefer a metal box over the fancy wooden ones that are available, but I'm open to suggestions as well.
I have 2 Kennedy stacks with a total of 49 drawers. The quality is good & the variety of drawer arrangements they offer was a real selling point for me. That being said, they're a little pricey new but a good value used & all mine are used collected over time. I'm probably not as adamant about having ball bearing slides even though they are superior to friction slides. When I pick up a box, I clean the slides thoroughly & lubricate with lithium grease. I load them up (even occasionally overload them) & they work smoothly year after year. Kennedy now offers their boxes with ball bearing slides as well as retrofit kits for boxes that didn't come with them.

David
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

blackdog wrote:Kennedy now offers their boxes with ball bearing slides as well as retrofit kits for boxes that didn't come with them.
Can you point me to a source for the retrofit kits? A recent contact with Kennedy indicated to me that they don't offer such a kit. I was told the friction slides would be borderline impossible to upgrade. (I don't believe that to be true, and have considered buying roller slides from a third party).

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

harold here may be your yes/no answer middle of page

http://www.kennedymfg.com/Kennedy/FAQs/