Tool Boxes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

blackdog

Re: Tool Boxes

Post by blackdog »

At some point & I'm not sure on the year, Kennedy went to a clip in style drawer guide. That latter style can be retrofitted & the slides are available (or can be ordered) through an authorized Kennedy reseller. If I recall correctly, it is $23 per pair. On a 7 drawer roller cab that would be roughly $175. On the older boxes like I have (& maybe you too), it would be more difficult but it could be done & most likely cheaper.

David
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, David.
As you alluded, the slides are not clip-in, they're spot welded in. I fully expect they can be drilled at the spot and disassembled without too much effort. If I must, I can live with the resulting holes, but I can not live with the friction slides.

I spent some time on the internet looking for roller slides. There are some available for less than half that price, good for a 75 pound load. They can be installed with machine screws. None of my drawers contain anywhere near that amount of weight, so they should serve perfectly well, and appear to be the proper thickness. I'm going to keep that in mind when I get to the project, which is sure to come unless I die first. The slides on my Kennedy are extremely difficult to move, and they have been disassembled and lubed more than once. They are simply worn out. The box was purchased in '67.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
blackdog

Post by blackdog »

My pleasure. I was just looking through the Enco sale catalog that came in todays mail. They have a Kennedy 27" 7 drawer roller cabinet on sale. $652 w/friction slides or $696 w/ball bearing slides. Either they're hosing their retrofit customers or are unexplainably proud of their friction slides :). 7 pairs of slides & the difference is only $44?

David
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

blackdog wrote:I was just looking through the Enco sale catalog that came in todays mail. They have a Kennedy 27" 7 drawer roller cabinet on sale. $652 w/friction slides or $696 w/ball bearing slides. Either they're hosing their retrofit customers or are unexplainably proud of their friction slides :). 7 pairs of slides & the difference is only $44?

David
You're already paying for a friction slide in the asking price, so all they're talking about is the difference in cost. Could be it's priced appropriately, but then how could we know? As you alluded, they may be very proud of their friction slides----which would be unthinkable after my experiences.

Here's a link to the slides I mentioned. They seem to offer pretty much anything you might need. I see no reason why the right one can't be used in a tool box, so long as it's rated for the weight.

http://www.cshardware.com/kitchen-and-b ... city=75+lb

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

remenber you will need 2 per drawer , dont ask how i learned that detail.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Chuckle!

With my toolbox, it would be much like having one foot nailed to the floor if only one was installed.

While the price is per each, they tend to make it clear they're sold in pairs.

I'd like to order a pair of them and see how it would work out. I'd rather keep the old Kennedy than replace with something new. While not a big deal, years ago I had a shop build me an insert for the drawer in which I keep my taps. It fits the Kennedy, but may not fit a different box. Besides, it's been in my life for a long time. It would be like getting rid of one of the kids (if I had any).

Harold
Torch

Post by Torch »

Harold_V wrote:It would be like getting rid of one of the kids
Except that there are moments in every parents' life when that would be an attractive option.
blackdog

Post by blackdog »

Harold_V wrote:I'd like to order a pair of them and see how it would work out. I'd rather keep the old Kennedy than replace with something new.
I looked at the website you posted & didn't recognize the name.......which doesn't mean much :). Having been in the cabinet business, quality guides equal no call backs for me. Blum under mount guides have taken over the industry which makes ball bearing full extension guides a real bargain these days. If I were going to make the conversion, my first choice would be 100# capacity Accuride. They'll cost a little more than what you were looking at but not much. It's a slight overkill capacity wise but it's better to have too much than not enough.

David
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for your recommendation. I'll certainly keep it in mind when the time comes. Took a look at their offering. They do appear to be far more robust. My only concern would be if they're too tall for the shallow drawers.

Harold
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

If you are planning to hold just small items then i would not go with the Vidmar. BUT if you want a box to hold heavy items (like a chuck) then i would suggest looking for a used Vidmar. The drawers will hold me standing in them without sagging, and the drawers come all the way out. full extension. Maybe go for a short vidmar under, a lighter tool box for your precision tools. Even a bench height Vidmar will be heavy, All i can do to get one into the bed of my pickup, even with the drawers out. Ok i am old but they are stout and the drawers roll out under heavy loads.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've always had a Gerstner for precision tools, so that's not an issue.
Part of my problem is that in my productive years, I specialized in small work, so rarely do I have tools that are heavy. I may have to look at things differently if I ever get started on my project of building a steam loco, which would require much larger tooling, in general. I guess I'll cross that bridge when (or if) it happens.

I have a cabinet for end mills and lathe tools, so they aren't found in my Kennedy, which is a roll-away. I store chucks on shelves, so I don't really need a box with extreme capacity, although I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose should one become available. However, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, as I live in a sparsely populated county with very little in the way of manufacturing. I must travel about 100 miles to find anything of substance. It is for that reason (to say nothing of not having an excessive amount of free money) that I'm considering changing the slides in my Kennedy. It has served me quite well, aside from the slides.

A side note. Monday I found myself in a KMart, looking for some chairs for our rear porch. I happened to walk past some Craftsman toolboxes. Absolutely shocking! While made from steel, they had the feeling of having been built from aluminum foil. It could be that Craftsman has various levels of quality, but the box I saw wouldn't be suited for use for much beyond a butterfly collection.

Harold
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Harold_V wrote:A side note. Monday I found myself in a KMart, looking for some chairs for our rear porch. I happened to walk past some Craftsman toolboxes. Absolutely shocking! While made from steel, they had the feeling of having been built from aluminum foil. It could be that Craftsman has various levels of quality, but the box I saw wouldn't be suited for use for much beyond a butterfly collection.

Harold
They do have differing levels, but in the last 10 years the MBAs have allowed nothing but trash to carry the Craftsman name. Sad, they used to produce a good product for a fair price. Now it's a premium price for stuff that does not even compare favorably to Harbor Freight at a budget price. I'm absolutely sold on the Vidmar style cabinets and wouldn't be without my 3. But I also own 2 HF boxes (the top end long and tall models) that I use for roll-around automotive work and the long as a portable work surface. That I do understand and utilize the high end high capacity storage cabinets AND I own/use/like the HF boxes should say something (at least I would think so). I also have a ~25+ year old Craftsman top end "professional" cabinet that still serves me well, but it is NOTHING like the top line professional series of today. It's just a bottom cabinet roll around, and alone it weights at least 50% more than the full 3 piece stack top line of today. It's been used in a commercial shop environment VERY heavily (over) loaded and has never popped a weld or been damaged in any way other than just wear and a few dings. It's slides are stiff now, but it's still in use, though not heavily loaded (because of the slides). Don't expect that with what they make today.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper