A tap follower

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ksor

A tap follower

Post by ksor »

Yeah, I needed one so NOW I will make one - done !

http://kelds.weebly.com/tap-follower.html
Fender

Re: A tap follower

Post by Fender »

Ok, I'll bite.
1. I still don't understand what this is for.
2. Shouldn't this post go in the "General" forum?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Fender wrote:Ok, I'll bite.
1. I still don't understand what this is for.
When tapping in a machine, the follower is placed in the spindle, so it supports the end of the tap, keeping it vertical. They are often spring loaded, so you can load the follower with the quill, which is then locked in position. You can then tap without having to follow the tap manually. Some taps have a male center instead of a female center, so an interchangeable insert following tip is quite desirable. The tap is intended to be driven by hand, using a tap handle or small wrench.

That being said, I took a quick look at the design and was underwhelmed. It should be far more rigid, as if you tap with large taps, the forces can be quite heavy.
2. Shouldn't this post go in the "General" forum?
Considering it's not really a building project, yeah, I tend to agree, so it's being moved.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

This fellow's projects are well thought out and delivered so I had to take a 2nd look. We see this in the extended position. There is probably a long portion which guides the mandrel point rigidly true. The spring tension would increase for the larger tap, and be decreased for smaller. It kinda looks like a spring-loaded center punch and I know it isn't...but dang it makes me think BOUT THE NASTY STUFF I couldn't bite into. :)