Who uses a DRO, and who doesn't..?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jeremy Sawatzky

Re: Who uses a DRO, and who doesn't..?

Post by Jeremy Sawatzky »

Bill_Cook wrote:I'm the second owner of a pristine BP sized 1956 Cincinnatti Toolmaster.
I read this as Cincinnatti Toastmaster. :mrgreen:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill_Cook wrote:The price of a DRO could be better spent on shop capability, not on vulnerable electronic convience. (It would be nice tho.)
I tend to agree with you, Bill. Only a fool would determine a DRO isn't a valuable asset, but there's so many things a guy can buy with the money, allowing for other things to get accomplished, that I consider them a poor investment. If a guy lacks the necessary skill to run dials, or has more then enough money to purchase his needs, I certainly agree, they're a nice addition to a machine.

Still, when it's all said and done, I'm still damned proud of the fact that I can operate my machines without a DRO, and achieve the expected results. Of course, that was expected of us when I was trained. There were no DRO's.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GK1918

Post by GK1918 »

Me too BC. I am the second owner of a full optioned 1B. I'm figuring a 1955 or 1956 (close) a couple of
small drill marks (NOT ME) Toolmasters great big mint dials. Back to the subject, yes I put dro's on it, next
the lathes. Why? If anybody in here operates example 1940's S Bends & shapers no matter what, the dials
are tottally worthless. I got enough problems reading yard sticks never mind a mic.....And then I was told
that somehow you can get into the readout and connect to a comp. monitor, now thats nice bill board size
numbers would be sweet. Whats next a seeing eye cat? the cat can see a fly 50ft away!!!
Attachments
Toolmaster 1B.JPG
Torch

Post by Torch »

I have a DRO on my 3-in-1 and find it to be an invaluable crutch, for all the reasons listed above but also because it's darn near impossible for me to see or read the saddle dial -- it's small and hidden below the table. That said, I don't have a scale on the tailstock or the compound. I use the dials for those.

Of the features I use the most are the centering function and the Radius/Diameter function. The first is obvious. The second merely changes the way the measurements are presented. Radius provides a 1:1 measurement -- use that for most milling, and travel along the lathe bed. Diameter provides a 1:2 measurement -- useful for the lathe cross-slide, the mill spindle for vertical RT work (or other axis for horizontal RT work).

Another very useful trick is the bolt hole circle function. They don't have to be bolt-holes, either. I've made index plates for my rotary table with patterns that could not be achieved with the supplied plates and ran to 15 decimal places when calculated in degrees. Talk about opportunity for errors!

Given the cost of materials vs the reduction of errors, I think the DRO has paid for itself. The one draw back is that I am not proficient in the use of dials, so I would be at a disadvantage trying to use a machine that lacked a DRO. But then, I am a home hobbyist and only operate my own machines. It's not like I'm a professional who may be tasked with operating any machine in the shop.
art.h

Post by art.h »

DRO's are most useful in multiple tool operations, they give you the ability to change tools with different lengths/locations by using indicated dimensions. A poorman's CNC concept keep a cheatsheet and an established (0,0,0) for one tool part after part can be made to the same settings. This still requires verification that tolerances are being maintained. I've seen a 1,000 parts with a dozen or more feature done in free machining steel done on a single set up this way. Tedious but very cost effective in a small jobbing shop..
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i have dro,s on a few machines but consider this we , this older generation have been trained to all things dial from a early age, be it watches, clocks, tachs, thermometer, ad nasuea but a youngster may well not be able to tell time in analog,know clockwise or where or how to cover your six. do math with out a calculator and soon how to write in cursive at all.

but can translate rolling digits with ease
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I am a spread sheet fanatic...I have had to master a Excel at work, I find it pretty useful in the shop..
Torch

Post by Torch »

hammermill wrote:i have dro,s on a few machines but consider this we , this older generation have been trained to all things dial from a early age, be it watches, clocks, tachs, thermometer, ad nasuea but a youngster may well not be able to tell time in analog,know clockwise or where or how to cover your six. do math with out a calculator and soon how to write in cursive at all.

but can translate rolling digits with ease
Don`t forget `spell`. Wnt b lng b4 txt is norm.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

hammermill wrote:this older generation have been trained to all things dial from a early age, be it watches, clocks, tachs, thermometer, ad nasuea but a youngster may well not be able to tell time in analog, know clockwise or where or how to cover your six.
I see you're post was entered at "20 of".
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

AllenH59 wrote:I am a spread sheet fanatic...I have had to master a Excel at work, I find it pretty useful in the shop..
Having little more than tasted the power of Excel, it's easy to see how useful it could be all around the shop.

The ability of a CAD program to visually convert the dimentions of a part to travel distances including offsets for tool diameters with total math confidence has made it easier for me to live without a DRO or take MS Office past basic Word chores.

Not that it mattered in this case, but the edge finder in the lower left view is contacring the corner of the part after it was sliced in half, not the OD. In the upper left view the edge finder is contacting the theoretical sharp corner, but without any calculating it could have worked off a chamfer or radius.
Diolator dwg.GIF
The tool is for expanding the bottom of a Ball® 12oz beverage can to fit over another to make light weight alcohol stoves. Note the backpack in the pic below. Anyone here cruising I-81 between Harrisburg PA and Maryland is invited to stop in and follow this old man and his dog into the local 130 sq mile state forest, year round, on or off trail, day or night. I normally go out nights and Sundays, (especially during hunting season.)

http://www.pbase.com/lecook/image/153537520
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I've been trained on dials and used them for about 20+ years. About
10 years ago, I added an inexpensive DRO system to my mill and I have
to admit, I wouldn't want to go back to just dials BUT I could if the EMP
comes.

The debate over digital vs analog is a fair one. Digital, at a glance will impart
a greater sense of accuracy but analog imparts relationship better (IMHO).
Hence, the digital watch wearer says: "it is 6:45," where the analog watch
wearer says : "it is a quarter to seven."

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I learned with dials. I added a DRO to my lathe later, and my mill some time after that.

The lathe.....sometimes I use it....sometimes I don't. Probably 50/50 on the lathe.

The mill, more often than not. Very handy for hole patterns among other tasks.

Guess I'm ambidextrous?

Knowing how to use the dials, can be handy. No EMP hit my shop (yet), but I had a scale bite the dust in the middle of a project. No big deal....I dialed in and dialed away.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.