What would you guys update older Mori Seiki machine's with

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gtxkid

What would you guys update older Mori Seiki machine's with

Post by gtxkid »

As far as the electronic's go.
That is what i need.
I am looking at CNC4PC stuff.
What all do you think is involved.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Dave_C

Re: What would you guys update older Mori Seiki machine's wi

Post by Dave_C »

GTXKid,

Not sure what you are asking, I'm not informed about your Mori Sieki machine, although I read good things about the name in general.

You said "as far as the electronics go". That is a big open ended question as there are many ways to go about an upgrade. For example you can buy a complete package fro AJAX.com with a Centroid front end, servos conrollers and power supplies. (Nice Package but pricey)

What does your machine have now? Is it manual or CNC? If CNC, is the control software good? Motors or controllers good? Do you have ballscrews already or are we talking manual to CNC conversion?

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
gtxkid

Post by gtxkid »

Will need control software, Looking like Mach3.
Motherboard bad for sure.
I will find out more next week.
Motors are good.
Was already running some type of numeric code or cnc.
One is a larger Mill and the other is a larger Lathe. They were enclosed cabinet type.
pete

Post by pete »

FWIW,
I know exactly zero about CNC, but........................afaik the Mach 4 version is out now. It "apparently" addresses the huge bugs and issues Mach 3 had. Take all of this as being worth exactly what you paid for it. Worth checking out is my guess.

Pete
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

GTXKid,

You will need to take good look at your motors. Are they digital? Probably not if they ran some sort of NC program.

Old Servos and their encoders are quite different than modern digital servos with high count encoders.

As far as Mach 4 being out, I have not seen that as Artsoft is saying Spring of 2014 for first release and then it will go to O&M's for product development. (Else I would buy it as well) There will be at least three levels of products for Mach4 starting at $200 and going as high as $2,000 depending on what features you want.

If your old motors are servicable, you can change out the encoders for new digital ones but that means you will need new servo drivers! (They are not cheap)

And that is why this is not a mater of just replacing parts. All the parts have to work together. Technology has changed a lot sinced the first NC machines came out. The modern replacements are much easier for us amatures to install and work with so that part is good.

Servos are nice, have higher speeds but cost much more than steppers. Stepper motors can lose step and ruin parts but there is a new vintage of steppers coming out now called Hybrid Steppers. They have feedback encoders just like servos and they do not lose step. You must match the driver to the motor for this to work properly.

Let us all know on the forum how it goes. We will share what we can to help.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
pete

Post by pete »

Dave,
Sorry for my misinformation, I thought it was out now. John Stevenson mentioned it and he must be working with a test sample. Ouch, $2,000.00. It better be good for the fully loaded version.

Pete