question on splined shaft

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tapkoote

question on splined shaft

Post by tapkoote »

I took the steering shaft out of my 49 chev to rebuild.
I notice the splined shaft that carries the pitman arn has a diagonal cut across it.
Whats the purpose for that?
Thanks Pat

hammermill

Re: question on splined shaft

Post by hammermill »

to keep parts locked in place rotation wise but allow in/out movement this would be before calaposable steering wheels.

sorry my mind is on the wrong side of the gear box, go figure :D
Last edited by hammermill on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapkoote

Post by tapkoote »

hammermill wrote:to keep parts locked in place rotation wise but allow in/out movement this would be before calaposable steering wheels.
This pitman arm is locked on to this shaft and only rotates with the shaft.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

perhaps to provide a refrence to avoide having to retime the steering :P
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Maybe it's a battle scar of someone who couldn't get the pitman arm off, and attacked the arm with a hacksaw? Maybe he didn't have a puller....or a big hammer...or maybe a bit of a clue?

Not uncommon.

Nice lookin' Chevy by the way!
:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Maybe it's a battle scar of someone who couldn't get the pitman arm off, and attacked the arm with a hacksaw? Maybe he didn't have a puller....or a big hammer...or maybe a bit of a clue?
I tend to agree. I've pulled a pitman before, and found it difficult.
While I'm far from being an engineer, with my limited knowledge, I can't see a slice such as has been shown being of any value. If anything, it could offer the risk of fracturing, although I suspect that risk is very low.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tapkoote

Post by tapkoote »

HAHA
you guys are right.
I cleaned it up and put it under magnification.
HACKSAW MARK= hack job!
I had to use plenty of heat with my puller.
Pat
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If you happen to have the luxury of time at your disposal, one of the ways to remove a pitman arm is to back off the nut a turn or two, then drive the vehicle a little. The jarring from everyday driving has the potential to break its grip on the shaft. I'd suggest avoiding the freeway! :-)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Best way I know to get 'em loose, is with and air hammer and an appropriately sized pickle fork. I've had some where the pickle fork got jammed in there, and the arm still didn't come loose, but a smack with a hammer, to the side of the spline on the arm, and sometimes with a backup hammer, will usually get it.
I have had a few that needed some heat too.

When I get to puttin' things back together, it's one of those places I always use anti-seize. Might be back there again.

Bill
tapkoote

Post by tapkoote »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Maybe it's a battle scar of someone who couldn't get the pitman arm off, and attacked the arm with a hacksaw? Maybe he didn't have a puller....or a big hammer...or maybe a bit of a clue?

Not uncommon.

Nice lookin' Chevy by the way!
:)
Bill
Bill this is what it looks like now, putting in a new air pump.
J. Randall

Post by J. Randall »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Best way I know to get 'em loose, is with and air hammer and an appropriately sized pickle fork. I've had some where the pickle fork got jammed in there, and the arm still didn't come loose, but a smack with a hammer, to the side of the spline on the arm, and sometimes with a backup hammer, will usually get it.
I have had a few that needed some heat too.

When I get to puttin' things back together, it's one of those places I always use anti-seize. Might be back there again.

Bill
Pickle fork will work in some cases, but if you are doing very many, a dedicated pitman arm puller and an impact wrench is the best way. I forget the brand name of mine, but it has never failed to just pull them off, no hassle.
James
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Looks like you have quite a project Pat!

Post some pics for us as you progress!

Bill