Using Loctite 638 (Green)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

doublereefed

Using Loctite 638 (Green)

Post by doublereefed »

I haven't used Loctite 638 before. I need to set some pieces on a flat surface to cure. What can I use that the Loctite won't stick to, or that won't create a problem? Would wax paper or aluminum foil work?

Thanks,

-Richard
warmstrong1955

Re: Using Loctite 638 (Green)

Post by warmstrong1955 »

The stuff is anaerobic, so what is still exposed to air will be sticky in 24 hours, but not set up. Any excess should be cleaned up at assembly.

Not sure what you are using it for, but in any case, the parts should be de-oiled/greased and assembled like normal for it to work as advertised. It will make up for loose fits on bearing races to housings and such, and also for axial surfaces, but all must be torqued up to spec when assembled for it to set up correctly.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

Bill, I'm adding a collar to a bushing, then that bushing will be inserted into an Allen Mogul side rod. All will be cleaned thoroughly with acetone. Everything is a good slip fit. I have one bushing/rod assembly where it's out by about .020 but that is with in the spec for 638. (Also, on that assembly it's a tight slip fit on one side of the rod, and out .020 on the other side, 3/8" thick.)

I think I read that these should be assembled horizontally not vertically so that gravity doesn't pull the bushing low in the rod. I can assemble and wipe clean, then lay horizontally on a flat surface. I'm just guessing that some of the lactate will leak out onto the table.

So, that's the story. Here's a photo of one the bushings, I don't have one of the side rods.

Thanks,

-Richard
Attachments
mainrodbushings1024.jpg
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I've always assembled things, just like they are used when using Loctite for loose fits on bearings, both plain & roller or ball.

I assume you're talking .020" total, so .010" per side? Without grabbing my Loctite book, if I recall, .010" is about the max. for about all the Loctite products.

So long as all is tightened up normally, I wouldn't think that placing the part horizontally or vertically would have much effect, but nothing wrong with that. Just a matter of completing the assembly if you know what I mean.

Bill
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

OK, understood. Thanks for the advice. I will dry fit everything first. Then I'll reassemble in working position with loctite at each step of the way.

Best,

-RIchard
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

...and yes... according the the specs on the web site I am at the maximum gap. As I mentioned though, it's tight slip on one side of the rod, and then .020 on the other side (3/8" between the two sides). So, worst case is .020 and I'm thinking it will probably hold up OK...
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I use Loctite for bearing fits as a field fix.
If it was me....I'd make new bearings to fit, or change the housings, so I had a light press fit.

But that's just me.....

:)
Bill