How to dispose of metal chips

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: How to dispose of metal chips

Post by BadDog »

And the worst thing, IT CAN CHANGE beneath you!

We lived in West Palm Beach, FL for a while. Nice gated "family" neighborhood. Happened to be part of a group of 5(?) developments all bordering/surrounding a "golf club". At least 3 of the others were "retirement targeted", but ours was full of nice families, many with kids, or planning for kids, play areas, open grassy areas, etc. The golf club proved quite successful and the other communities filled up rather rapidly, or so I gather. But the family community was priced out of many "family" budgets, especially along the golf course itself. Anyway, a group of friends from NY (mostly retired Lawyers, embodying all that the name may suggest) moved down, and when they could not get housing they liked (together?) in the other communities, they bought some of the premium houses along the golf course.

As you might expect, being what they were, and retired with time to burn, they quickly dominated the HOA, and set about installing new restrictions aimed at making families uncomfortable. Play areas were dismantled due to "equipment problems" and "liability issues". Open grass "play areas" were re-landscaped with lots of flowers and "walking paths" and with liberal applications of "stay off grass" signs with notices to owners of "damage mitigation fines" for home owners who's members (kids) deigned to get off the paths. Rules against bicycles being ridden by minors in the neighborhood (dangerous for them, we're just worried about the kids), so to ride they had to walk the bikes out the front gate and ride along the open public road. Tennis court and rec center, all minors (not just small children) attended at all times by parents. No parking outside the garage (this mostly targeted to my neighbor who was a contractor and who's truck wouldn't physically fit) for more than 1 hour, guests had to park off site if there for over 6 (I think that's right?). And the votes were all held in the work day. My neighbor and I took off work to attend one early on, and they just said they were going to have to reschedule for unspecified reasons. This happened repeatedly. My wife caught the president's wife (primary enforcer) and her biddy friend IN our yard looking over the back fence for violations, and in the front measuring plants and offsets with tape measure. That's just getting started...

Much of what they were doing was borderline (or beyond) illegal. But they were quite well versed in the law, well connected with local bar members (and a judge) as golf buddies, and HOA specializing lawyers told us that the only practical way to fix this (without years of delays an big cost with no clear outcome due to vague laws regarding HOA action in the late 90s) was from "within". In the end, we moved back to Phoenix about a year after they took over, and last I heard they had finally succeeded in driving out almost all the families and converting the "family" community into a defacto retirement community.

My #1 item when looking for a house was NO HOA! Don't call me, don't consider it, I don't care if it's 50% under market, I don't want to know. Sorry for the OT rant, but this is still a sore point, and was a big part of my recent purchase decisions.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

tornitore45 wrote:
In my opinion most HOA members are failed politicians, folks that love to define life for others and think they are leaders,
That is pretty much my description of our township's council. Five of the six councillors are outsiders. No locals want to get involved because the outsiders gang up on them. The last good local councillor resigned during his term because he got fed up w/ the BS. He's a 4th generation family member & is well liked in the community.

IMO, the folks that are on council couldn't get elected dog catcher in the metro areas they're from. They treat the locals as rubes & run roughshod over things (do as I say not as I do). I grew up & lived in the city until my retirement, but have been coming back to the "sticks" since I was a kid. I definately didn't move back here because of the current administration or the way they run things.
Torch

Post by Torch »

revrnd wrote:IMO, the folks that are on council couldn't get elected dog catcher in the metro areas they're from.
Around here (Ontario) you must be eligible to vote in the municipality in order to run in the municipality, which rules out most non-residents.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Torch wrote:
revrnd wrote:IMO, the folks that are on council couldn't get elected dog catcher in the metro areas they're from.
Around here (Ontario) you must be eligible to vote in the municipality in order to run in the municipality, which rules out most non-residents.
They're residents, but none have any connection to the area. The lone female councillor almost broke out in tears at a council meeting. She was distraught about the rumours & gossip about her. The general opinion was, "It's a small town, get used to it!"
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

WOW, did this go off topic. From disposing of chips, to HOA rules.

HOAs are a pita if you anger a member. They tend to get stinky and stupid, as your rights of ownership, and civility will take precedence over any Illegal rule, or contract change. Most often they cannot install new rules, without consent or owner change. It is a matter of puting in the time to let them know, or accepting that you will not fight, and eat whatever they pass out. Most HOA boards are do nothing entities, they having more fun bowling than doing a meeting, and listening to some Jerk complaining about grass 3/4 inch too high, or not enough bushes on someones boundry. They can be destructive, and I dont deal with idiocy, as I live by my rule on my property, and have dealt with some pretty unlikable souls in that defense.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.