cnc video ,,, really awesome

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

juiceclone

cnc video ,,, really awesome

Post by juiceclone »

here is the eddress to a wimp video I stumbled on with the most entertaining cnc operations I ever imagined. about 8 min long
http://www.wimp.com/metalbutter/
WJH

Re: cnc video ,,, really awesome

Post by WJH »

Hmm... No good, won't fit in my living room
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

RB211 wrote:Hmm... No good, won't fit in my living room
I'm thinking that if the reason you are not buying one is not monetary, put an addition on your living room then you're set! You would probably have the only living room with one in it!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

My neighbor had one in his barn. He paid me fifty bucks to take it.

That video is wonderful. It's got turning. It's got milling. It's got hobbing. It's got threading using a milling spindle. They need to teach it to grind, and that will pretty much cover everything.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

As soon as I see one of those at a yard sale I am going to be sure to buy it!
Don Young
JackF

Post by JackF »

Any wild guesses what that thing would go for? I'll start at $10,000,000. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Depreciation may be helpful. Some guy is selling a Mazak CNC rig locally for 8 grand. Claims it sold for $175K new. Just wait a few years.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I love how it bored an off-center hole.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

Yep I'd certainly agree, it's a great demonstration video of what some of this equipment is really capable of in a skilled programers hands. Maybe and slightly a bit less impressive, but it's at least real world with real materials, is some of the new Orange Vise videos from California. Sol is a hell of a designer, programer, and can build some more than impressive parts. The surface finishes are unbelievable if your willing to take the time to watch them.

At maybe the other end of the CNC scale, I've got a great friend in the UK who's using an older Bridgeport CNC to carve us both out some "no castings" castings for a miniture beam engine project, all of it out of what I think is solid tool steel and mild steel. This is what CNC really excels at in my opinion. What would take me day's to duplicate with multiple setups and even some specialized tooling shapes using manual machine tools, this Bridgeport can spit far better parts out in a few hours.

We do tend to forget or at least think of videos like this as only something that's good under that CNC control. Doing some dedicated searching under "Ornamental Turning" or even "Live Tooling" proves a lot of what we think is a brand new concept just isn't. Many of these ideas are hundreds of years old. Adding that live tooling or maybe a more descriptive term, a powered milling head to a manual lathes cross or top slide vastly increases a lathes ability's. Checking out the Hemingway kits website in the UK and there Quick Step milling head should be an eye opener if you've never seen it. Most of us don't use any manual lathe even close to what it's really capable of.

Pete
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I wonder what that part is worth?
jim314159

Post by jim314159 »

Holy cow, by the end I half expected it to have an accessory spindle on the side that was frying an egg and brewing coffee.
websterz

Post by websterz »

Watching that was almost hypnotic! :shock: