Canedy-Otto drill press (auction Score!)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Re: Canedy-Otto drill press (auction Score!)

Post by Wanna-Be »

Yah! I kinda figured that but thought ctwo wanted to come visit my collection of old machines.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Here I am stripping down my Bridgeport head cursing the fellow that did the previous paint, and then it dawned on me that someday somebody is likely to complain about the job I'm doing now...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I got the DP off the truck a set it on level ground behind my shop and began cleaning and inspecting. The DP is fully complete and everything seems to operate. The back gear engagement fork was set in and it appears it had been in back gear reduction for many years because I was almost frozen in place. A bit of penetrating oil and it was free and worked in either direct or gear reduction. The auto feed engaged/disengaged fine as well. Floating head travels well with a counter weight inside the column to make things easier. Once oiled the spindle travel was easy and smooth even with the table and floating head lowered completely.

The oily dirt was caked on everything and the tee slots gutters in the base were packed with about 20# of drill shavings and dirt. Took about an hour to scrap out this mess. However, due to all the oily dirt, nearly all machine surfaces had been protected and came out shining.

I found that there was a second coat of paint, navy machinery gray over the darker OEM gray. It was fairly well done and only lifted on some of the upper column areas as I was cleaning with de-greaser. Therefore, since it still looks pretty good over all, I am not going to spend another day cleaning for a new coat of paint. (life is too short).

In my inspection, however, I did find one repair to a tee slot on the table. (nicely done) and about a dozen (mostly shallow) drill marks near the center. (Shame!!)
20140610_160817rev.jpg
After cleaning
20140610_160847rev.jpg
Table repair and "scares of shame!"
20140610_160939rev.jpg
Back gear fork engagement.

Steve
Last edited by Wanna-Be on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Wanna-Be wrote: Kinda OT, but, I was going to post some more pictures but the board is telling me "the board attachement quota has been reached" not sure if it is my quota for this post topic or my quota for all my posts. Hmmmm! I tried deleting pictures from my old post topics but didn't change things.

More later.

Steve
I noticed someone else posted something similar today in another thread.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

redneckalbertan wrote:
Wanna-Be wrote: Kinda OT, but, I was going to post some more pictures but the board is telling me "the board attachement quota has been reached" not sure if it is my quota for this post topic or my quota for all my posts. Hmmmm! I tried deleting pictures from my old post topics but didn't change things.

More later.

Steve
I noticed someone else posted something similar today in another thread.
I deleted some of the pictures I had in this posted topic and then it would allow me to upload the more recent pictures.

Steve
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I finally got back to this DP project. Finished the cleaning.. Mostly pumping the water and oily sludge out of the base gutters and Tee slots. Not clean enough for painting but doubt I will ever repaint the base since I expect it will fill up with my own shavings and cutting oil. It doesn't really have a common sump there I could put a strainer and pump.

I moved it into a bay in my shop where I have an overhead hoist to lift the motor, mount and belt tensioner assembly. That reduced the weight by about 500# but not the height. It also allows me to eventually lay it over on the back of the column onto equipment rollers to move it thru the walk thru door in the other end of the machine shop. (Standing upright, it is still over 90" tall even with the spindle/sliding head lowered.)

Another problem to address, I'll throw out here: When I disconnected the motor power, on/off switch, I realized that I didn't get the machine contacter/controller when I picked it up for its previous location. Now that I look back at the pictures in that location, (the seller had disconnected it.) I see it on the wall. I will call the seller and ask if I can come back an get that. They really seemed like nice people and gave me a large box full of tapper MT adapters and two nice Jacobs chucks and a dozen larger MT drill bits. Wish me luck. (I usually do have good luck when dealing with old machine purchases/finds. I think it is because they recognize it is my desire to preserve this wonderful old machines.

Steve
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

Just to update on this fine machine.
I have it all installed in the machine shop and what pleasure to use. The table is manageable to swing or rotate to position work. It would be too low for me if I were to stand, So I have a comfortable chair to sit in while I set the auto feed (.01"/rev.). Just watch those smooth spirals of bit shavings come off the work piece.

Steve
JackF

Post by JackF »

Steve, thanks for the update. Now all we need is a pic of it setting in place. :wink: :D

Jack. :D
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I love it, you know the basic configuration of it reminds me of an old jig borer. I have never seen a drill press like it. do post finished pictures.