Accessory Project for a Standard Indicator

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Accessory Project for a Standard Indicator

Post by earlgo »

Some time ago, a Starrett Dial Test Indicator Set Model 196 A, in a finger joined wooden box, followed me home and in it is perhaps the answer to your question.

The indicator/ accessory clamp has a bronze/copper spring in it to provide friction in the clamp so that it will not slide out of position on the rod. The round knob, I have always assumed, was so that the clamp will not slide off the end of the rod and disappear under the workbench, taking your expensive DTI with it.

Perhaps cost savings eliminated the friction spring but not the round knob as it more or less identifies the maker as Starrett.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

I understand now, Patio.

Thanks.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
newrustic

Post by newrustic »

Hi all, I will take this opportunity to introduce myself to the forum after a long time lurking in the shadows. Retired from the trade but not the hobby! I'll put in my 2 cents now and then, hope it adds something to all the great support and knowledge shared here!

To me the ball-end on the rod serves as more than just an attractive decoration. In addition to the other replies I can add this: It functions as a pilot to guide the clamp onto the stem. It also protects the working diameter from bumps and nicks on the end. I got this idea from an old tool and gage maker that would add a similar shape to protect the edge of a ground and lapped measuring platform.

Back to the indicator accessory, nice work and it's great that you finally got around to making something you know you will be useful when the need arises. Also, after looking at your belt grinders, I am very much inspired to build my own. Impressive design and a great shop you have there!

Cheers All!
Dave