Hub puller for my new grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Hub puller for my new grinder

Post by John Evans »

Changing grinding wheels on one hub is wasteful of the wheel and slow to boot. With my new to me surface grinder I plan on having several wheels of various type and grits mounted/trued and ready to go. But to do that you need a hub puller ,and the grinder did not come with one. Available new for $20 odd bucks but where is the fun in that besides I'm cheap. :roll: So off to the lathe and mill and a bit later I now have a puller.
Attachments
puller grinder 002.JPG
puller grinder 001.JPG
www.chaski.com
atomarc

Re: Hub puller for my new grinder

Post by atomarc »

John,

Great job and I'll bet it was fun too! Ain't it grand having all the resources to turn a idea into a functional hunk of steel! :D

Stuart
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Stuart: Yep sure is nice to have the right tool and even better having the correct tooling to use on said tools. Used my "Top notch" insert holder with a threading insert,boy does it do a nice job of cutting a thread.
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Looks like you have shown a Sopko adapter and the hub puller you made is nearly identical to the one they market. It is truly helpful when changing wheels.
You did a very nice job on an important tool.

http://www.wmsopko.com/sopko_82.htm

--earlgo
(The original Delta Toolmaker adapter I have does not have any internal threads for a puller and it is somewhat difficult to remove. I need to do something about it, but after 20 years it probably won't happen.)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.