Milling Machine: Bridgeport BR2JPFLC up for auction

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Milling Machine: Bridgeport BR2JPFLC up for auction

Post by Wanna-Be »

I just checked the WA PublicSurplus.com auction for WA and came acrossed this machine. Since I am happy with my current milling setup I thought I would let other know about this one.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,wa ... uc=1168230

It looks like it is a variable speed, (FWIW?), OEM power table feed, (never seen that before!) and some form of coolant pump. Rust doesn't look all that bad (but that is just my opinion, seen worse).

Still 9 days before auction closes. If someone is interested and can't get here to look it over I could go there and do a Video walk around. Can't run it since it is in a warehouse now, but I could see how bad the rust is, etc..

If interested and concerned about it being a problem to ship of move after the auction, I am only 30 miles away and we could work something out, I'm sure. Not sure how the bidding will go on this one but some machines at remote sites of origin, have really gone cheap.

PM me if you need any further interest or need help.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Wanna-Be

Re: Milling Machine: Bridgeport BR2JPFLC up for auction

Post by Wanna-Be »

I went over to the auction warehouse and inspected this machine. It does have serious rust on the table top, thou not pitted, but the ways seem to have been protected by some light oil and under the table, etc.. The control cranks and handles have heavy rust. However, nothing is totally frozen. (I refrained from moving any distance in any direction, since the exposed rust should be scrapped, cleaned and oiled to preclude scoring of the mating surfaces.).
Mechanical and controls all seem to be in good working order, although there was no power so I couldn't test run and check the variable drive. As mentioned earlier, it has an OEM table power feed that seems to be in good working order. Never seen one of these before. There is a coolant pump that goes with this machine as well.

Since the table would require the most work, that would be very straight forward job of scraping. The ways should be cleaned and scrapped as required before advancing the moving table or knee. The screws seem to have been protected by residual oil.

The machine came from a high school shop and appears to be lightly used and well maintained (until some fool moved it out of the shop without protection!). I think this model came out in the '70s. I'm not sure of what the reputation is for these Vari Drive speed (I know the Jet model was problematic and have one setting in the corner of my shop, if anyone need one for parts).

My opinion FWIW.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

This auction closed yesterday, 22nd at $1635.00 and that seems to be about right as compared to the Clausing lathe in my other post.
The bidding was slow in the last 4 or so hour and only advances slightly at the end.

Someone got a nice machine for the price. My opinion FWIW

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

That one has potential. I would agree with you.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Not rusty enough for my tastes.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.