max v10b rebuild

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

golfpin

max v10b rebuild

Post by golfpin »

Good day all,
not sure ,again, if am posting correctly but here goes, could anyone, possibly "lakeside33" advise how to adjust the gradated measurement dial for the cross slide on the Maximat v10 p am assembling but have found the wheel has no resistance so will not hold a setting. Dismantled it but what I see makes no sense. All looks okay and original but I must be missing the point somewhere. Also is there a web address that might have manual for the V10 p .
With Thanks Golfpin
PeteH

Re: max v10b rebuild

Post by PeteH »

There's an active V10 group over at YahooGroups, so if you can stand Yahoo, you might do well to join that forum. I believe someone has posted the manuals to that groups archives.

This is strictly guesswork, since I have a V10, not a "P", but since the "P" means "power crossfeed", do you need to engage or disengage something to use the handwheel ?
Pete in NJ
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/lakesi ... %20rebuild

You are probably missing the small piece of semi-circular spring steel (just above the "e" of "emco" in the third picture of the sequence above). That provides the friction to control the dial.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Gentlemen,
thank you so much for your prompt reply, yes Steve you are quite right that semicircular spring is missing as is that golden colored one and don,t know where they belong. Cant, see any witness marks as to where they were running/rubbing. Also that curious nut with 2 flats and the small adjusting screw does that relate in some way to the adjustment of the vernier dial? Goes on the end of the cross slide shaft under the Emco badge
While I have you on the "line" can you help on this point , when I came to disassemble the mill motor the armature stayed behind and the body and windings came free, am not sure how the armature is connected to the through shaft into the mill g.box, rust could be a problem here. That fantastic set of pics does help a lot but rather to hit on anything thought to ask first.
Would love to post pics so as to clarify the questions but don,t know how, that picture of your workshop makes me feel very ashamed will aim for that. BTW have just been offered a Supremacy lathe +- 194??? 3 inch, would like to photo it but can,t have digi. cell/camera but do not how to link to PC !!!!!!!!!! and it is in very poor condition, the lathe that is.
With thanks Cheers
Golfpin
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

It's Andy, not Steve :)

That spring portion can easily be clipped (score, snap) out of a weed eater or whatever rewind spring. Any local outdoor power tool service store will have a bucket of old springs.

I "think" the gold washer is just that - a thin (metric) washer. It might be a wave washer but I don't think so. The spring section just provides tension so the dial moves with the handle, but can be reset easily. Works well.

Not sure why your rotor didn't pull out. I don't remember anything underneath but it may be worth checking the part diagrams (on the yahoo group). Join this :

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/emcoV10lathe/info

I assume you found these : http://s238.photobucket.com/user/lakesi ... t=4&page=1

To post pictures you have to upload them to a site like Flicker, Photobucket etc, then link back to this site. Easy once you've done that a few times it's easy. Look at very first post on the main forum page.
Last edited by lakeside53 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Many many thanks Andy sorry about the name mix up...... have got grubby little paws on a spring from lawn mower all I have to do is find it and press on,
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

lakeside53 wrote:To post pictures you have to upload them to a site like Flicker, Photobucket etc, then link back to this site. Easy once you've done that a few times it's easy. Look at very first post on the main forum page.
Pictures can also be hosted on the Chaski server. They are uploaded as an attachment, easily done by clicking the Browse button that appears below the wide blue line on the same page on which one composes a post. I'm assuming you are using subsilver2 as your board choice. Observe the 1024 maximum width picture size, as the software will reject anything larger.
Pictures posted this way appear as a reasonably large thumbnail in the post, and can be placed in line, as desired. Note that they can be clicked, to be viewed full size.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

lol. Thanks Harold. Guess I should read the sticky sometime :)