Best Way to Shine up Band Saw Table?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Best Way to Shine up Band Saw Table?

Post by BadDog »

Or you could, I don't know, use it maybe? ;)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

But you should see the saw! It's so shiny and wonderful already.

Or maybe you're talking about past use. Sadly, paste wax will not prevent rust when someone is really determined to let rain and condensation hit it. Especially when you find out days later.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm talking about using the tool for it's intended purpose. I would certainly do what it takes to keep it from getting crusty, and having lived in West Palm Beach for a while, I know that in FL near the coast that can be a full time project in it's own right. But worrying about a little staining, nah. I live in the SW desert now, pretty much as close to zero condensation as you can get on this continent. And my machines have smooth (within the limits as bought) clean surfaces but are certainly not "as ground".

If I were in FL again, I would probably try/use a product like Boshield (sp?), or one of the other products intended to protect mold/extrusion tooling from rust without gummy buildup. It should outlast paste wax in use, and easy/quick apply. I think the wax is popular on wood tools mostly because of the ease of sliding wood on the surface.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I use a product called Eezox for some things. Supposed to be better than Boeshield. I doubt there is anything that will stand up to soda cans and wet bags without staining wood, though.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

As for using paste wax for its purpose, the table was waxed when it rusted. As I said, the wax won't really stop rust. It makes the metal look pretty, and it makes the wood slide. It's actually not as nice as what's on the table at the moment. The WD40 left a nice shine, and I also applied some beeswax and mineral oil while I was working on it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: The WD40 left a nice shine, and I also applied some beeswax and mineral oil while I was working on it.
Beeswax??? You should have plenty of that......

:lol:
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Don't remind me!
Fabitfast

Post by Fabitfast »

When I cleaned my band saw table, I only use wd40 and paste wax.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

SteveHGraham and All--

Eezox is the best stuff since sliced bread. I used it exclusively on my Volquartsen benchrest .22 pistol. Eezox made an already superb action work flawlessly. Since I have moved on from competing against myself, I now use whatever gun oil is handy, but the Eezox sits on a shelf beckoning me.

Here is a picture of my Volquartsen. Think five rounds in a zero inch center to center hole at 25 yards. (That barrel/scope is dedicated to 25 yards.) The barrel is 10" long not including the compensator. I have another one with a 12" barrel and another Burris scope which is dedicated to 100 yards. Accuracy with both is phenomenal.

I think this is on-topic since you mentioned Eezox. :)

--seal killer
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Something new I didn't know I needed.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

seal killer wrote:
Here is a picture of my Volquartsen. Think five rounds in a zero inch center to center hole at 25 yards. (That barrel/scope is dedicated to 25 yards.) The barrel is 10" long not including the compensator. I have another one with a 12" barrel and another Burris scope which is dedicated to 100 yards. Accuracy with both is phenomenal.
--seal killer
Cool Other Bill!
I had a K22 (S&W) 6" with an 8X scope..... no doubt not as accurate as your Volquartsens....but it was quite surprising. Wish I still had it....but my thing has always been hittin' the X-ring from 10 feet to 25 yards with a 4" barrel.... or a 6" barrel. PPC.

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Going further off topic, but those little Rugers are wonderful guns. Crazy accurate out of the box and still cheap to buy, modify, and shoot; hard to beat that. I have a slab side 10" with a custom trigger and a few other mods, but nowhere near to SKs. But if I'm doing what I want, it's typically not the 22LR I'm shooting. For a handgun, I'm a quite partial to 357 Mag with a sweet little SP101 for general CC in summer (and most of the year here), and a 6" GP100 in an inverted shoulder holster for times when a light jacket is suitable. Hard to beat as an all around dependable gun for any range or purpose suitable to handguns.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper