Stepped clamps for rotary table

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chucketn

Stepped clamps for rotary table

Post by chucketn »

I am setting up to cut gears using a 4” Vertex Rotary Table on my X2 Mill. Somewhere, in my research, I saw a picture of the same RT, clamped to a mill table using custom low profile clamps that nearly filled the slots on the Vertex and didn’t interfere with either the RT table or the chuck that was mounted. I didn’t think at the time to save the picture or ask the poster about it. Now I can’t find it.
The clamps did not require the use of the standard clamping kit step blocks. They looked like an upside down stair case.
Anyone know where this design came from? Can I get a reference or even a sketch of the dimensions, please?
Thanks,
Chuck
chucketn

Re: Stepped clamps for rotary table

Post by chucketn »

I found the website I got the idea from, but it's in German, and I don't read or write German. I'm not that good in my native 'Merican English...

It's here"

http://www.metallmodellbau.de/GEAR-CUTTING.php

No link or indication to translate the web page or corespond in english with the author of the article. I can see the clamp I'm talking about in several views, so I'll just measure up my RT and see if I can make something like it!

Chuck
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I would suspect them of being shop made. Wish the site had a translate button. Looks like a good hob tutorial
Marty Feldman

Post by Marty Feldman »

Here's a variation on your upsidedown stairs, low profile clamps I made to fit the toeslots in the base of the vise I made for a horizontal mill.
vise1.JPG
vise2.JPG
vise4.JPG
-Marty-
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Thanks for doing that. Interesting read :D
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Marty, :D

Thank for sharing your upside down

tee/toe clamps idea. :idea: Very Cool. 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

Wouldn't gooseneck clamps as used on horizontals to get more working space do just fine? You can get them from the $8 dollar Chinese cast junk at Enco to $75 ea Vulcan forged ones depending on how tight you need it held. These are a godsend on horizontals where you need all the clearance you can to get under the horizontal arbor. Plus huge clamping force so the machine doesn't rip things off the table. I have some 4" 6" and 8" Vulcan forged ones. No clue if they make them in other sizes, these sizes are all I have ever run across.

Here is a picture of some of mine plus some really cool W German made leaf type supports so you don't have to find scrap material laying around the right thickness, strength and smoothness not to scar up your table. Need to find some more. But only found these two on the back of a shelf where they had sat for years at a used machine place. One was missing two leaves so I moved one over so they would be even for now but I guess I need to make a couple replacement leaves when I get a chance.
Gooseneck clamps 4 6 8 inch Vulcan small.jpg