Old grindstone need help for a stable tool rest

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

unclefixit

Old grindstone need help for a stable tool rest

Post by unclefixit »

front view (800x533).jpg
This machine needs some kind of wide rest . The present one is not too accurate.
Old Grindstone (800x533).jpg
Hope this gets to the correct place, Im new at this.
Harold_V

Re: Old grindstone need help for a stable tool rest

Post by Harold_V »

Might be a good idea to describe what you're trying to accomplish. I say this because of the speed reduction I see with your setup. Are you truly using a stone, or are you spinning an aluminum oxide grinding wheel? In either case, speed is important, as the stone demands low speed and the wheel performs best at high speed.

Please describe the stone/wheel.
Please indicate what you're trying to accomplish.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
unclefixit

Post by unclefixit »

The stone is the a real grindstone as in the old farm grindstone, it is great for sharpening if you have patience.
what I an trying to do is improve the tool rest, the present one (under the two black knobs) is not too stable. I have visions of a tool rest like the one on the Makita horizontal stone grinder but my expertice is short. The rest could mount on the wood base giving a width of about 8 inches.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Ok, got it! 8)

I think your idea of extending to the base would be a winning decision. An upright, securely fastened to the base, with an adjustable "shelf", for lack of better description, located at the appropriate height. The adjustment would be used to keep the support near the wheel face, but you might also consider exploring the idea of making it adjustable vertically as well, which could prove useful if you like to uniformly grind hollow edges.

I tend to discourage the use of a work rest for sharpening turning tools (for metal), as it gets in the way when grinding chip breakers. That most likely would not apply for your particular setup, as such a stone would border on being useless for that activity.

If your objective is to grind modern HSS---you most likely are not going to be very happy with the setup you have. If, by sharp contrast, you are trying to maintain the edge on carbon steel tools, it may actually be superior, albeit slow to use.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
unclefixit

Post by unclefixit »

that sounds like what I want, now to fabricate it.

Thanks
spro

Post by spro »

There is a rest which is sturdy. I think Atlas or Rockwell made it. It has a finely ground surface and a slot milled. Now this has to mounted securely with no wood involved between the two structures. I've used the flint and quartz wet stones and they run cool because they have to. Burning the precious steel off of the iron was Not allowed. A rest of the type I describe, with a precise slot allowed me to find the smallest mitre head and mate that with a slide. The reason is that certain plane blades and other tools are angled. They need to be swept across the wheel linearly. Well if your going to do it anyway, consider that.
spro

Post by spro »

There are other numbers going on.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

You might want to look to a Tormek wet grinder for inspiration. It has a tool rest system that you might like.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,43072

Grizzly among others have clones of the Tormek too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Wet- ... /T10010ANV

If you want to stick with a more traditional rest, Lee Vally has a versatile design for some ideas.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,43072

Pete